Thread: 110-CL Upgrade

rkoeneke

110-CL Upgrade

Gotta start by saying thanks to you guys on the forum. You have me all fired up about the Savages I have in the safe. That said here is one I have and what I'm thinking about doing.

I picked up a old 110-CL chambered in 243 for a song and dance about 10 years ago. I love the gun, the action is pretty darn smooth, and the trigger breaks so nicely. I have always thought about putting some money into this rifle, but given its age and the lack of parts that i know of out there for the rifle I have held off. But being on here now, I have more confidence that i kind find the information I need to do this properly, or to decide to go another route.

I have thought about putting this rifle in an XLR chassis, I live about two hours North of where XLR's are manufactured and those guys have invited me to bring the rifle down and they can make sure they have the proper inlet. I was about ready to do that, but when I took the stock off for the first time I realized the internal box mag is tac welded to the action. I got cold feet because I thought if I took that box mag off there was no going back to original stock. I am still up in the air on the prospect of doing this.

That said my current enthusiasm is directed toward rebarreling the rifle. I am heavily leaning toward 6.5 creedmoor. My question for you guys is this. What information do I need to make sure I order a barrel that will fit this action properly? I typed the serial number on the action into the savage part finder to try and get the specs on it, but the rifle is too old, and not in their database. Can you guys provide me some advice and information on what I should do to make sure I do this properly?

Thanks,
    Reed

Since everyone loves pictures, here are a few of the stick in question.

joebreeding.jb
    Love it because it's for a south paw!!!

rkoeneke
    Is it fairly safe to say the the barrel shank on this old rifle is 1.055" x 20tpi?

The action is a 1st gen 110 short action, confirmed from the FAQ's, the ejection port is 3.275" and the action screws are 4.522" apart.

I also lied in my original post, the blind mag is not weld on. It is just on there real solid, and attached to the action not the stock.
    Last edited by rkoeneke; 03-29-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Yes, the shank will be the small 1.055x20tpi size.

As for the magazine, they are held in by a tab on either end that fits into a slot in the action. If you have a set of spreader pliers (snap ring pliers are similar that spread apart when squeezed) you can use them between the recoil lug and magazine box to pop the front tab out of it's slot without damaging anything. To reinstall, just fit the rear tab in it's slot, rest the front tab on the bottom of the action, place the tip of a flat-head screwdriver in the corner where the tab meets the box at a 45* angle then give it a good rap with a mallet to get the front tab back into its slot.

You can see the tabs in the photo in this FAQ

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Feed-Magazines
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

rkoeneke
    Thank you so much for that info MrFurious! I am sure I would have buggered something up trying to remove the box. Thank you again!