Thread: New Axis II XP - scope question

Scoob5555

Question New Axis II XP - scope question

Hi all,

I ordered the rifle today from my local shop and it will be here mid-week. My plan is to use the cheap Weaver scope on the Mark II FV I also bought for the kids to use. That scope should be fine on the FV for under 100 meters. So the question becomes what scope to buy for the Axis? My plan is to use this at the range for up to 400 m once I get familiar with the gun and scope. So I'm guessing a 4 or 6-16 at a minimum? Right now since I don't yet know how serious I'll get with this is to get a good "value" scope in the $150 range that has the necessary adjustments and good glass. Thinking of a UTG currently since they get good reviews in a few places, but I know nothing about scopes in general so I'm asking here. Currently looking at the UTG 4-16x44. Also the similar UTG 4-16x50. Any arguments against these or UTG in general?

Thanks,
    Scoob

I've no experience with the UTG scopes you mentioned. The only Leapers product I get much use out of are their max strength rings, which are pretty solid.

The cheapest scope I typically recommend is either the Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP or Bushnell 3200 10x40mm.

BW64
    If you want some bang for the buck try a SWFA 20x42 $300. Have one on my Rem 700 sps .308 bench rest gun. Had it out to 1200 tracks perfectly. Clear glass with target turrets. SWFA.com

BW

The SWFA is a solid scope, but won't do you much good on a warm summer day. For that reason alone I'd +1 on the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP, no illumination. I have 3 of them and have no complaints. It's hard to find a bad review on them, and so far I've got one handling a braked 338 WinMag and stout 250's just fine with no loss of function.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

BW64
    I shoot 1000 yard bench rest in Vegas heat. Really doesn't bother me. There are 5 or 6 others with the same glass also. Haven't tried the Primary but I may look at them for my new XPII in 6.5 Creed.

BW

Scoob5555
    Thanks guys. After some more research I decided on the Primary Arms 4-16x44 scope instead. Hope I chose the right height rings (medium).