Thread: Fitting centerfeed long action in staggered feed stock

Basic Member

Fitting centerfeed long action in staggered feed stock

Dropping a centerfeed action into staggered stock. Since the screw spacing is the same can I just epoxy the magazine in place? Any suggestions on what to use to hold it in place?
    Last edited by grouse; 03-26-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Long action? Yes pretty much.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Yes, you can secure the magazine by using epoxy putty to secure the magazine in the mag well. Just be sure the magazine sits high enough fo rthe rounds to be stripped out by the bolt but doesn't rub on the bolt.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I built a dam out of an egw rail blister pack and filled in the excess area with Devcon. I used the dremel to carve a notch for the magazine retainer L-clip, so the magazine is removable rather than trapped forever in the stock. I'll see if I have any pictures of the process I went through and post them if there are any.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    All of the above. I have also wedged different thickness pieces of cardboard in there to test fit. Can't remember if it gets moved more forward or back, but it isn't centered. Once I get a combination that works I pour epoxy around it and over the cardboard. Doesn't always look good inside, but works with less effort. Depends on what you're looking for. 442 sounds like he has the better way, though.

The stock I used was originally a centerfeed stock, modified to work on a stagger feed action. I converted it back to a centerfeed. The previous owner didn't seal the wood that he had modified, so I could see the factory varnish lines and knew exactly where to build the stock back up. That saved me a bunch of test fitting, and the entire project took about 1/2 hour. Time and patience should get you a fully functional rifle without too much trouble.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways