Thread: stock fitting on a 99?

Basic Member

stock fitting on a 99?

So I've always wanted a Savage 99 . I found a 99EG but it's been cut down and fitted with a rubber recoil pad. They did an OK job but I'd really rather have it in more or less original condition with a steel butt plate. That means finding a stock. Numrich has them listed and there are a few on eBay.

The question is...would a used stock need to be fitted? They look like they are really complex shapes. If the new stock needed to be altered, I seriously doubt I would be able to handle more than a minor amount.

Has anyone had to replace their stock?

There shouldn't be much fitting involved if you can find an original factory buttstock but a replacement stock from Numrichs will take more than your willing to do.

If it were me I'd wait till one came in original condition.
    Savage- "never say never".

There was a member here that made stocks for the 99, you might search a little and see if you can find him. His quality was top notch.

Found it. Send a pm to user Lee Davis here and see what you can find out.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-27-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I just did a stock swap on a Remington model 81 auto. The original had the same thing done to it. A previous owner cut down the stock and put a recoil pad on it. It looked kike hell. I found a original stock on eBay and just put it on. It for perfectly. No problem at all.

I think you're right. Wait for an original stock, not an after market. The issue with the 99 is they made it foe a zillion years so things may have changed from one decade to another. If I find a stock from the 1950's I have no idea if it will fit a rifle from the 1970's or 1930's.

All the tangs were the same size from serial number 90,000 up to the end of the 99 production.

norm9910
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    So I've always wanted a Savage 99 . I found a 99EG but it's been cut down and fitted with a rubber recoil pad. They did an OK job but I'd really rather have it in more or less original condition with a steel butt plate. That means finding a stock. Numrich has them listed and there are a few on eBay.

The question is...would a used stock need to be fitted? They look like they are really complex shapes. If the new stock needed to be altered, I seriously doubt I would be able to handle more than a minor amount.
    I can get you a new stock that would need no fitting , my stock maker has receivers from me to fit any 1899s or 99s , and does great checkering if you want that and i have original butt plates available.

norm 99

But is your stock maker north of the border? Not legal to ship a stock across the border without going through the import/export hassle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I think we can ship to the U.S. Jim, it's coming from the other side to here that gets pretty sticky, thanks to Obama.

I've never had anything stopped anyways.