Thread: Metallic Silhouette

Basic Member

Metallic Silhouette

Planning on shooting my first metallic silhouette match in a couple weeks. Taking the .308 and shooting 150gr Hornady Interlock's.

I will have my rifle zeroed and loads chrono'd for drop charts prior to the match so that should be set.

I will not be shooting a scope with exposed turrets so will probably get things sorted out for drop at each distance and then dial in prior to shooting each range. Fine tune with hold overs I guess. Same for windage.

Any tips, tricks, do's, don'ts, etc for this type of event?

Basic Member
    Is it a prone, bench, or offhand event? The run Varmint Silhouette matches out here shooting either prone or off the bench. I shoot using Mils and quickly realized wind calls had to be accurate to the .1mil to ensure good hits!

LongRange
    thats going to be tough using all hold overs without a christmas tree type reticle if you dont have one.

take your time and dont get flustered...its better to have 3-4 hits and time out rather than trying to rush worrying about time and only having a couple of hits. it will be a great learning experience for you shooting timed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Is it a prone, bench, or offhand event? The run Varmint Silhouette matches out here shooting either prone or off the bench. I shoot using Mils and quickly realized wind calls had to be accurate to the .1mil to ensure good hits!
    Offhand. :)

Chickens @ 200m
    Pigs @ 300m
    Turkeys @ 385m
    Rams @ 500m

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    thats going to be tough using all hold overs without a christmas tree type reticle if you dont have one.

take your time and dont get flustered...its better to have 3-4 hits and time out rather than trying to rush worrying about time and only having a couple of hits. it will be a great learning experience for you shooting timed.
    It's going to be fun and interesting for sure! A whole new world for me.

I am going to focus on the 200 and 300 as I have shot, and hit, at those ranges albeit primarily from a bench. The 385 and 500 will be the first time I've shot those distances.

I need to brush up on good offhand shooting form as well to figure out best way to get myself solid and use my sling as best possible.

It's a good club (Winnequah Gun Club) so I am guessing there will be more than a few folks there that will be willing to help, which is precisely the reason I am doing this.

LongRange
    yes it will be...ive never shot with a sling either but have been practicing some at home as ill be shooting my first PRS type match the 23rd of this month so ive got some work to do as well...heres a couple of videos i thought were pretty good and helped me get a better idea on how to use a sling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGETnIGu_Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebyb...&nohtml5=False

Basic Member
    Interesting info I just found out. It may be that we can't use a sling in our match if it follows traditional metallic silhouette format.

Time to go load up some rounds, have a scope to re-mount and zero.