Thread: Scope/base/rings recommendations?

Scope/base/rings recommendations?

Looking at putting an Axis .308 heavy barrel on layaway. For those that have the Axis, what scope, base, and rings have been working well for you? Looking at a price range of $200-300 for the scope (I know, kind of low-budget), and something that will work OK out to maybe 300 meters.

On my long range setups I typically have a scope with an objective in the 44mm neighborhood, my favorite being the Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP scope. It's feature rich for a $230 scope, but may be more than you need out to 300m. Still, it's not a bad choice. Any of the SWFA classic of the Bushnell Elite 3200 would be a good choice for a fixed scope of the tactical variety.

Just about all my scopes are in low profile Leapers Max Strength rings. Any rings with a saddle height of 10mm would do the trick for an objective in the mid-40s.

I like EGW rails, but mainly because I go for 20 MOA rails. For a .308 at 300 meters, a sloped base isn't necessary, which opens up a number of other options. Weaver makes a nice and inexpensive single-piece rail. There are also a lot of good things posted about DNZ mounts.

Process_engineer

I just put a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 on my 10T in .308. $220 at cabelas, lifetime warranty and glass is really clear for a $200ish scope. Have a few hundred rounds through it now and holds zero and the adjustments track well. Downside is it's not FFP.

swamphonkey
    Tally mounts /Rings and the clearest scope you like. I like the vortex And the Nikon for the money. That little Redfield is nice and crisp at 300 also. I like a 4x or even a3x 9 x40 will work. And remember all these guys want great big bells but the bigger the scope the more you beat it up hunting. I don't know how ruff you are on a rifle but I like a tight compact scope so it doesn't take a lot of knocking around. But if you just take it from a case to a bench And shoot paper that's not as big a concern.

I was tossed between the Vortex crossfire or Nikon BDC....Both are excellent scopes. Went with the Nikon......Clear, precise, and it's a Nikon. The Nikon spot on BDC bullet chart is dead on... Impressive groupings

Process_engineer

I have a vortex crossfire II 6-18x 40 and love it. Glass is clear, scope tracks well, adjustments are repeatable.

Edit: didn't realize I already replied to this one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk