Thread: Misfires

DaleP

Misfires

I have inherited a Model 110 in 308 Winchester. The rifle was bought new in the 60's by my diseased father-in-law. He did not shoot a box of shells thru it, I have put several thru it. On two separate deer hunts, it has failed to fire, twice in '08 at the biggest buck I ever saw, and once last year at a small buck (second round fired, bagged him). At the range it shoots every time, very small groups. I am shooting Remington Express Corelok, 150 grain. Any advice?

Re: Misfires

Degrease the bolt - what temps at the range vs. hunting.

Basic Member

Dale,
    What were the weather conditions when this happened? Was it really cold? The reason that I am asking this is maybe if the firing pin had excess oil around it and the temperature made the oil thicker and it would restrict the firing pin movement. I have heard of this happening many times here in Wyoming.
    Regards, Keith

DaleP

Year one, the temps were in the 30's, last year in the low 50's, at the range above that in the 60's or better. Gave thought to that, not sure how to clean the bolt and relube. Looking at the primer dents, I cannot see a difference between the "duds" and spent shells. Then again, I can't see Remington ammo being the problem.

Run bolts next to dry in the cold - try lighter fluid

Team Savage

Sounds like the guys are pretty much on track. Bolt is probably gummed up from the lube drying out over years. Brake parts cleaner, lighter fluid, WD 40, just about anything to cut the dried out lube. Be best to pull the bolt apart and give it a good bath and relube with a good gun oil. Keep up informed.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

defoxer

Are you using the same ammo for the hunt as the range?
    It may be the primers; I have in the past experienced a batch of Prvi cartridges that had 'hard' primers that failed to detonate with a properly functioning, new, 116. Very very frustrating in the field..... Now I only load my own (and use tested primers).
    D

DaleP

I used Remington Express Corelok both in the field and at the range. One minute groups at the range, and the three deer all were one shot kills.

can you measure the firing pin protrusion? may be a little off.

is there plenty of room between the bolt release and the side of the stock? an occasional drag could slow the sear release causing a light strike.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

If the weapon is that old it could be old wd-40 or another similar product that the solvent evaporates from and leaves gum and varnish behind.I inherited a couple of weapons from my dad that were gummed up from his fondness for WD. Take it apart and clean it with an appropriate solvent like gun scrubber or brake cleaner. Lube it up with some break free CLP and check it.
    WD 40 + time is in my opinion the worst thing ever for small mechanical parts.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.