Thread: 308 aimed at shooting 208gr amax pills - savagegunsmithing.com

Basic Member

308 aimed at shooting 208gr amax pills - savagegunsmithing.com

Well, I started by trying to find a smith to do both of my rifles. I ended up with savagegunsmithing.com. Really nice in the beginning - price proposal - exchanges in what I wanted/needed --- email exchanges were quick! After I sent the two guns - email exchanges were dismal. They ignore a lot of things in email exchanges. I sent both in a brand new rifle case.

I got the accurizing package they were offering. This is what they promised and the results of it. (Otheres not listed b/c they were done - i hope)
    1) Widen the channels to fit the barrels - I got it done but it's rubbing and not free floating. Couldn't pass the dollar bill test.
    2) 3.00COAL throated chamber - What I got was 2.807.
    3) Color the stainless Krieger barrels to matt black so it would match with the action - what I got was the mismatching barrel and action i had originally sent.

What I want to see happen
    1) Throat for 3.00COAL ammo
    2) Stainless steel barrels painted matt or whatever the color is to match with my action.
    3) free float my barrel
    4) I want my rifle case back.
    5) One of my smith friends in Texas sent them 2-3 dummy rounds with amax tips at 3.00COAL. They never sent them back nor did they use it to throat the chamber for the amax bullets.

Sigh... I'm disappointed in this build. I'll update this as time goes on. Such a headache. If I put this in the wrong subforum, I do apologize.

Basic Member
    Just got off the phone with Sandra and got some answers/lack of.

1) Throat for 3.00COAL ammo
    "Scott made you a dummy round and included it in the box" Even if scott did, I still measure 2.807COAL and not the 3.00COAL

2) Stainless steel barrels painted matt or whatever the color is to match with my action.
    "Is my understanding you said you didn't want it painted" I never said such a thing.

3) free float my barrel
    No answer
    4) I want my rifle case back.
    "We have thousands of cases in the shop. I didn't have a note to return case to you. I'll find it and return it to you."

5) One of my smith friends in Texas sent them 2-3 dummy rounds with amax tips at 3.00COAL. They never sent them back nor did they use it to throat the chamber for the amax bullets.
    "I received it but never opened it. I'll find it and return it to you." How are you going to know what's in the box if you don't even open them? Why make me go through all that trouble to pay another smith to make the dummy round and you never even opened the package. Then make your own dummy round and they are not even the 3.00COAL i requested!

Just flustered at the replies I got. SMH SMH.

Basic Member
    Got my guns back. They fixed the stuck safety on one of the guns. Painted the barrels black to match the action but... BUTTTT they left the recoil lug SS. Both barrels are not fully floated - still touches the stock - i'll fix it with a dowel and some sand paper. I'm just glad I got my rifles back. I was hoping they would save themselves re-doing the rifles and take this foul experience away but they didn't. I would have loved to recommend them to others but as of right now, I will not. I don't think i'm getting my refund for my shipping either but i'm okay with that. Let's part ways and call it quits - moving on to greater things!