Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Headspace Gage?

dividingfire

Bad Headspace Gage?

I feel like I'm losing my mind with my 6.5 Creedmoor project. My Apache barrel showed up yesterday () and I got all set up to install it:

I took the extractor and ejector out of the bolt and slipped my PTG Go Gage in like I've always done before.
    I closed the bolt and spun the barrel in until it hit the gage, tightened down the barrel nut, and then pulled the go gage out and slipped the PTG no-go gage in.
    And the bolt closed completely with no resistance.

I took everything back apart and wiped the gages off and cleaned the chamber and bolt face and everything I could think of and set it up again. Same result.

So I started experimenting. I put the no-go gage in the chamber and screwed in the barrel until it hit, tightened down the barrel nut, then pulled out the no-go gage and slipped the go gage in. The bolt wouldn't even start to close on the go gage.

I pulled both of the gages and put the calipers on them. The no-go gage is slightly longer than the go gage, just as I would expect. I dropped both gages into the chamber to compare and it is visibly obvious that the no-go gage sits further into the chamber than the go-gage.

I have a spare ER Shaw barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor so I dropped the gages into it's chamber to make sure I wasn't crazy and I got the same result. The no-go gage goes further into the chamber than the go gage.

I have concluded that at least one of my gages is flawed. I've never had a gage problem before. I am curious if anyone else has had this problem before?

Look closely at the shoulder height and shoulder angle, to see if they are the same, put them side by side and compare.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    And this is why I use Manson Reamers headspace gauges for everything now. PTG is a major PITA to deal with in my experience.

If the gauges are visibly sitting differently in the chamber (especially on two different barrels) then obviously there's something going on. I wouldn't go any further with that project until you can confirm what the problem is. Maybe try using the Go-Gage to set initial headspace, apply 2 pieces of scotch tape to the case head, and then see what the result is? You could also try re-sized cases just to see how they fit in the chamber.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Id try the tape thing as well, just as winnie said. Ive never used a no-go gauge on any of my builds. I always use a piece tape on the back of the go gauge. Id try that and then try to chamber a round just to check.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    The only problem with the tape method, in this case, is you have no idea which gage is wrong. If the bolt closes on the no-go and not on the go-gage, which is right/wrong???? How do you define "right"??? I would return both gages and go with Manson.

dividingfire
    When I got home from work today I decided just for giggles to try the headspace gages in my Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. The results:

The bolt closed completely on the no-go gage.
    The bolt would not close on the go gage.

I chucked these gages in the scrap bin and put the project on hold until I can secure a proper set of gages. This is the first issue I've ever had with PTG stuff but it could have been a dangerous mistake. I'm a little bit in awe over it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dividingfire View Post
    When I got home from work today I decided just for giggles to try the headspace gages in my Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. The results:

I chucked these gages in the scrap bin and put the project on hold until I can secure a proper set of gages. This is the first issue I've ever had with PTG stuff but it could have been a dangerous mistake. I'm a little bit in awe over it.
    Seriously, PTG has gone down the toilet recently. Everything from their products to their CS has been awful - at least in my experience. I have more than 5 sets of Manson headspace gauges and I've never had a problem with them, their CS is excellent, and for the same price... it's a no-brainer. Sorry to hear, but update with progress once you get it sorted out!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    And this is why I use Manson Reamers headspace gauges for everything now. PTG is a major PITA to deal with in my experience. .
    I'm with ya. In the last 2 years PTG has slipped so far on the Quality chart it makes your head hurt!! I have a box of reamers that need to be sharpened and they are going to Manson.

Basic Member
    Mebby those gauges were made early on Monday morning or near quitting time on a Friday afternoon. From what you're saying they seem to be have been marked in the reverse.

If I were you I'd pull them out of the trash bucket and make two measurements, the gauge heads to their shoulders, preferably something on the shoulder close to .400", a socket, case or ??? kinda like this...

Don't be concerned with their actual lengths. You only need to see if one is .004" shorter or longer than the other. The shortie is most likely the GO, the longie the No Go.

Try that and report back.
    Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

LongRange
    hate to say it but i agree with you guys about PT&G...my first reamer and gauges went great the second one not so much.

id do what Bill said before tossing them because it sounds to me like they are just marked wrong...i would also try setting the head space with the nogo since it seems to be the go gauge then chamber a piece of new brass and see how it feels then add 1 piece of tape to the shoulder and chamber it and see how it feels.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i would also try setting the head space with the nogo since it seems to be the go gauge then chamber a piece of new brass and see how it feels then add 1 piece of tape to the shoulder and chamber it and see how it feels.

I would try this also. It's tough to put a project on hold!
    INFERNO

I have had a couple factory rifles that accepted no go gages. They say the headspacing is okay until they accept a field gage. Your no go gage may be good. The only way to know is to check the length at the datum diameter, like BillPa said.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    You can also measure the protrusion when you drop the gauge in the chamber. I believe it is .123 or .125 sticking out for go gauge. Not home so can't measure right now
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    You can also measure the protrusion when you drop the gauge in the chamber. I believe it is .123 or .125 sticking out for go gauge. Not home so can't measure right now
    But he said ...
    I decided just for giggles to try the headspace gages in my Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. The results:

The bolt closed completely on the no-go .
    The bolt would not close on the go.
    Two chambers, same gauges, same results. I still think the gauge lengths are correct but are marked in the reverse, the Go marked as the No Go and the No Go as the Go.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

dividingfire
    EDIT:

In the name of science I dropped the gauges into the barrel to measure protrusion. I can't find my good calipers and the cheap ones I have only measure to 0.01 inches. They both measured at 0.13 inches so it doesn't tell me much. I'll get a better measurements once I find my good calipers.
    Last edited by dividingfire; 03-19-2016 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Basic Member
    Whats actually stamped on the gages and what do they actually measure??

dividingfire
    Edited my previous post due to my calipers being crummy.

These are the gages:

Basic Member
    No measurements etched? Measure them for us. Use a 45 acp case deprimed and squared up if thats all you have. I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from those folks.

SAAMI lists a maximum chamber length of 1.551 from the breech face to the datum line (.400 on the shoulder) and a minimum of 1.541.
    Set your calipers to .400 and score the gauges, then do a rough measurement of the gauges from the head to the scribed line.
    Post up your findings here.

Forster also makes gauges for the creed....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Bummed by this thread. I will be double checking the gages I ordered from PTG when they finally arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    No measurements etched? Measure them for us. Use a 45 acp case deprimed and squared up if thats all you have. I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from those folks.
    Must be the Forster gages that are etched. You can see it in the link.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/345...-223-remington

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    SAAMI lists a maximum chamber length of 1.551 from the breech face to the datum line (.400 on the shoulder) and a minimum of 1.541.
    Set your calipers to .400 and score the gauges, then do a rough measurement of the gauges from the head to the scribed line.
    Post up your findings here.

Forster also makes gauges for the creed....
    The Forsters seem to be less expensive than the PTGs.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    My Forester gauges are marked with the cartridge, Go, No Go and length. The PTGs and Clymers only marked with the cartridge and Go or No Go.

Bill.

dividingfire
    I was able to find a set of Forster gauges. The big brown truck dropped them off today along with a new set of calipers. I will go down to the gun room this evening and get to work taking some measurements on the PTG gauges as well as comparing them to the Forster set. I will report back.

dividingfire
    The Forster gauges worked out much better for me. I set the headspace on the Go gauge and then dropped in the No-Go gauge and the bolt would not close. Excellent.

After setting the headspace with the Forster gauges, I dropped the PTG Go gauge in and tried it. The bolt would not even start to close on it. I then dropped in the PTG No-Go gauge. The bolt would not close on it either.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the PTG Go gauge is set longer than the Forster Go gauge. I can also say that the PTG No-Go gauge is set longer than the Forster Go gauge.

I did take some measurements of the gauge protrusion before mounting the barrel. I can't speak to the accuracy of these measurements because the gauges did have some side-to-side play in the chamber. It is a difficult measurement to make accurately. The results are as follows:

PTG GO GAUGE: 0.1350"
    Forster GO GAUGE: 0.1235"
    PTG NO GO GAUGE: 0.1285"
    Forster NO GO GAUGE: 0.1305"

These measurements are confirmed to be possible by the results from the gauge test, with the Forster GO gauge being the shortest and none of the others allowing the bolt to close.

I took some (poor quality) photos of the gauges next to each other for comparison purposes. Someone may be interested to see these.

The Go gauges next to each other. PTG on the right, Forster on the left:

The NO GO gauges next to each other. PTG on the right, Forster on the left:

All 4 gauges. From left to right: Forster GO, PTG GO, Forster NO-GO, PTG NO-GO:

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting your findings. Glad the Forster gauges worked out better for you... My weariness of PTG has been confirmed and I'll be staying away from them from here on out.

Now post up some pics of the finished product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast