Thread: Aftermarket Stock for Savage 111 .300 Win Mag

Aftermarket Stock for Savage 111 .300 Win Mag

First time poster. I've researched past threads and still need a little guidance.

So I bought a nice little savage .300 win mag last year and replaced the Plastic Tupperware feeling stock (it wasn't the accustock) with a Hogue rubber overmold pillar bedded drop in stock. It felt great until I took it to the field to dial it in. As I put the gun in my shooting sticks and bipod, I noticed that the forearm had flex in it. I can actually pull the forend up to touch the free floating barrel. Obviously this could create some problems in the mountains if I rest my gun on a rock or bipod to shoot a bull and miss because the barrel contacts the forend! As such I am looking to spend up to $300-$350 for a good replacement stock. I would prefer a black synthetic stock, but I'm not afraid of a good walnut stock either. I've heard Bell & Carleson and Boyd..... but this isn't something I've done a lot of, so I'm asking you guys for some guidance. I don't want to bed the barrel, as it was designed to free float and I'd like to maintain that. (had a buddy suggest glass bedding it and I think i'll pass)
    Someone on another forum site suggested I'm overthinking it, so if that's the case, then tell me I'm being a knucklehead. Perhaps I'm just used to the walnut stock on my old 110 30-06??
    Thanks for any help I can get!

You should probably shoot it under different circumstances to see if your fears are even valid. Just because it has some flex doesn't mean it's going to alter the poi. Load the bipod and shoot some groups. Put it on bags and shoot some groups. Shoot it prone. Prove it isn't going to work before you attempt to fix it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You should probably shoot it under different circumstances to see if your fears are even valid. Just because it has some flex doesn't mean it's going to alter the poi. Load the bipod and shoot some groups. Put it on bags and shoot some groups. Shoot it prone. Prove it isn't going to work before you attempt to fix it.
    +1
    Have a couple of them and never an issue.

m-saunoras
    Got any pics of the Hogue stock? I recently picked up a plain jane 111 for a donor action. Noticed that the stock options are limited for a long action

Agree with above statements.

To make it simple and to stick within your budget, I would find one with an aluminum block already installed. Just install your action and torque the mounting bolts down. You should be able to find one fairly easy for your long action.

Everyone here will try and help you.

And Welcome, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Regardless if you like Model 111 stock I'm looking for a adjustable stock mainly rear stock adjustability, check ,but the length ,at this point I'd look at anything prefer one that's bedded,as I still want to use stock for hunting, this is a long action 111, 6.5-284