Thread: Synthetic Stock

Basic Member

Synthetic Stock

I have a Savage 110E in 7mm Rem mag with wooden... shoots very decently if I do my part. i do want a more consistent setup, so was wondering about glass bedding the action. any recommendations into whether bedding the gun with the current wooden one or getting a synthetic stock and bedding that one.
    I do not have a preference on either kind of stock.
    where can I get a cheap wooden or plastic stock to try my hand at this?
    Thanks!

Re: Synthetic Stock

See Northlanders (site advertiser) banner. He can hook you up. Or join the site for 12 bucks a year and gain access to the classifieds. Stocks are on there all the time for sale.
    For what it's worth, you won't gain any accuracy with a "cheap" synthetic stock over a wood stock.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

ellobo

Boyds makes a good stock for a Savage 110 or 10 staggered feed kmodel like yours. Laminate or walnut, drop in. I think they are under $100. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free foated and glass bed the action and you shuld have a good shooter. I have used Boyds stocks on several rifles and they work very well. They will need sanding and finishing with a good oil finish.Check thier website. The stock is a good hunting stock with cheeck rest, not a fancy benchrest or varmint or tactical stock. Its called the JRS model after J. R. Sundra who desinged it. Check it out.
    El Lobo

Netz

I'd just bed the one you got, it's not that hard if your just a bit mechanically inclined.
    I used JB weld on mine, as I could not find any Devcon locally, there are many tutorials on this site and the web on how to do it, but make sure you read up on the Savage particulars.
    As mentioned if you join, there are other areas of the site you will be able to access of more Savage specific information.
    Curt

Basic Member

Thanks for the info. I will check things out... my "preference" for the synthetic stock was because of oncern of wood warping in more humid weather (just moved from Denver to Houston).... I know it is likely to be neglectible in the long run, but not totally sure.
    I am still a beginner in the gun world, so I have a looot to read yet.

ellobo

The Boyds laminate stock I just mentioned will not warp, neither will any other makers, but if cost is a consderation then the Boyds would be my choice. Most others are over $200 and some over $300. All are good stocks.

El Lobo

Sponxx here is a site for factory laminate stocks,most with installed pillarsfor $125-$200.http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=12160
    Give them a look before you choose another, these are factory discontinued or over runs.Any of the long action ones should work for you.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

ellobo

I have a factory laminate stock which is very similar to the Boyds in design. One thing I like about the factory stock over the Boyds is it is lighter and a little thinner. I got it on Auction Arms for $38. Very expensive if you buy it from Savage.
    El Lobo