I have been looking for bolt action .22 , Stevens/Springfield with Stevens No. 100 hooded ram front sight and a Stevens No. 105 or 106 rear sight. I have the 1946 Stevens catalog that pictures the rifle. I recently purchased a Springfield M2 .22 training rifle because it reminded me of the model 86. Features on the M2, that reminded me of Model 86 were the rear peep sight, finger grooves on the forward stock and finish on the wood. The Stevens rear sight 105 is pictured in the 1946 catalog--the 106 is not. I don't know if the 106 would compare more closely to the rear peep sight on the M2.

My father may have acquired the .22 in the late 40's or early 50's. During that time he had a hardware store in central Minnesota. He sold the rifle in early 90's before leaving Minnesota. I have been look to purchase a similar rifle for several years. I believe that I have finally determined the rifle was a Model 86 Springfield--The 86 shown in the catalog is very similar except for the peep sight and finger grooves. I have always thought that the rifle was acquired between 1946-1952, I don't believe that he owned the rifle prior to WWII. How long was the model 86 in production? Anyone have a picture of a model 86 with a peep rear sight and finger grooves on the forward stock?

Thanks for any help