Hey guys,

I just joined this forum because I am working on a fun big bore project using a Savage 111. I've fallen in love with my suppressed .300 BLK rifles, especially my bolt actions, because they are dead quiet. They're fun to plink and tinker with.

I decided I want to build the biggest, baddest silent rifle that can legally be owned in the US. Since the power of a subsonic cartridge is only limited by projectile weight, I decided to go with a .510 bore size. The cartridge will either be .510 SOCOM (a necked up .458 SOCOM case) or .510 Beck depending on the details of the Beck when it is released. It should be very similar to the SOCOM. I'll be loading 647 gr .50 BMG pulled bullets at 1050 fps and will buy a suppressor if the first phase of my project turns out well.

I want the rifle to be mag fed so I spoke to the folks at Accurate Mag, who make the DBM system for the Savage 111 .338 Lapua Long Range Hunter. They said that their .338 Lapua magazine should work, and I can either use their bottom metal or PTG's bottom metal.

I bought a used Savage 111 for a great price but it has a blind mag and the stock has no opening. I called Savage to see what my options were for stocks, but they told me that my rifle was made before 1995 and that they don't provide any service for rifles made prior to that date. They further said that no post-1995 stocks would fit my receiver, which I thought odd given that the screw spacing has not changed to my knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have two questions-
First, will a modern Savage Trophy Hunter or similar stock fit?
Second, which bottom metal (Accurate Mag or PTG) will be easier to fit to the stock?

Ideally I'd like to find a stock that will fit the action with no inletting and fit either of the two bottom metals with minimal inletting.

Thank you for your help!

Steve