Thread: Athlon...any good?

Turbolung

Athlon...any good?

Has anyone tried the Athlon scopes Optics Planet is selling? Lifetime warranty and I have read great reviews on several sites..but..I'm always suspicious of what I read as it may be salesmen talkin. Lol..for some reason I feel more comfortable with what I see on this site..

They definitely appear to be feature-rich for the price, which is in the ballpark of the esteemed Primary Arms FFP scopes. Still, I have not heard or seen any buzz about them, salesman or no! I might venture some money on one once my tax refund arrives, but I'd prefer to hear from other users before I do.

Been browsing at there scopes???? It does look good with lifetime warranty too. It's a cross between Nikon Buckmaster or Athlon Taos or neos...
    Scopes for my Savage 93R17BV.

There's a 13+ page thread over on Snipers Hide covering the Athlon scopes. They almost sound too good to be true, but initial impressions seem favorable. I'll be keeping my eye on them.

Turbolung
    They do sound to good to be true..but I haven't seen a bad review..and a lifetime warranty says something...may try one myself but like you..hoped someone here had first hand experience

Basic Member
    I've seen mixed reviews over on Rifle scope trader on FB..... Everybody does the unboxing review and its all badazz and then when they get behind it at 600 yards they suddenly can't see and the turrets are mushy... LOL... I'm sure they are nice for the money...

Just browsed the site. The FFP 4-14 only has 20 Mil of adjustment. That's unfortunate. Same Mag range as my PA, less adjustment, more money. Just shows that warrantees aren't free.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Oh c'mon Darkker TOFTT and give us a comprehensive report........
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I had noticed that too but thought it might have something to do with the larger reticle center on the Athlon, which is almost twice the size of the PA mil dot. However, after looking at the other PA reticles, they are even larger and the scopes are still sold as having the same 30 mil adjustment range. That said, my normal 1000 yard drop is only 7.6 mil on my .243 Winchester, so, even if the scope was on a straight rail, I could foreseeably get out to 1200. On a hot, humid day I could see running out of adjustment long before running out of velocity, but that's why the 20 MOA rail was invented.

It is unusual, because the scopes' midsections look a lot alike. I wonder if they, Falcon Menace, and BSA all get their 4-14x44mm FFP products from the same factory and have different ways of measuring or reporting the adjustment. The adjustment ranges go from Athlon, 20; to Falcon Menace, 26.0; to BSA, 26.5; to PA, 30 mil. All but the Falcon Menace have 6 mil/rev turrets too.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 03-15-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Turbolung
    What kind of set up do you have on that 243 Dr Thunder? I'm wanting one myself for trying long ranging..

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Oh c'mon Darkker TOFTT and give us a comprehensive report........
    You buy my LNIB A-Bolt, or Leopard, and I'll be your scope mule

Bill7mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I had noticed that too but thought it might have something to do with the larger reticle center on the Athlon, which is almost twice the size of the PA mil dot. However, after looking at the other PA reticles, they are even larger and the scopes are still sold as having the same 30 mil adjustment range. That said, my normal 1000 yard drop is only 7.6 mil on my .243 Winchester, so, even if the scope was on a straight rail, I could foreseeably get out to 1200. On a hot, humid day I could see running out of adjustment long before running out of velocity, but that's why the 20 MOA rail was invented.

It is unusual, because the scopes' midsections look a lot alike. I wonder if they, Falcon Menace, and BSA all get their 4-14x44mm FFP products from the same factory and have different ways of measuring or reporting the adjustment. The adjustment ranges go from Athlon, 20; to Falcon Menace, 26.0; to BSA, 26.5; to PA, 30 mil. All but the Falcon Menace have 6 mil/rev turrets too.
    This is my belief, all of those scopes are the same scope, BSA doesn't even list the 4-14FFP in its catalog. It's only sold on Midway... I have the BSA and the Primary Arms, and the glass quality is basically the same, the turrets are shaped different and the reticles are different. Bit it's the same mechanically. The BSA and the Falcon Menace come in the exact same box with the black felt bag and shiny box... I just can't find who exactly makes them. I do know the glass in them come from Japan...
    Another note: the sunshades are the same, I can screw it on either scope...
    One thing I like about the BSA is the better Mil hash reticle and it has a "stated" lifetime warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolung View Post
    What kind of set up do you have on that 243 Dr Thunder? I'm wanting one myself for trying long ranging..

It's the green gun here. The PA scope is held in some Leapers max strength rings on an EGW 20 MOA rail.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    You buy my LNIB A-Bolt, or Leopard, and I'll be your scope mule
    No. There will never be a Japanese built rifle in my safe, and no, my Leopard is about to be repurposed to something less finicky.
    But you do such thorough reviews.........you know you want to........
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    my Leopard is about to be repurposed to something less finicky.
    But you do such thorough reviews.........you know you want to........
    Yes, I would like to get my hands on one. Working on building a Ruger Hawkeye with a nut first.
    That's what I found with my Leopard as well. Why it hasn't been shot in a couple years...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Yes, I would like to get my hands on one. Working on building a Ruger Hawkeye with a nut first.
    That's what I found with my Leopard as well. Why it hasn't been shot in a couple years...
    Just a little too much of a good thing. Same will no doubt be true of the (new) 6.5x300 Weatherby.
    They were popular in PA with LR hunters 50 years ago. But now nobody uses them.

Basic Member
    Another budget scope player. The lifetime warranty is nice but... I sincerely doubt they live up to the hype.

Primary Arms, Falcon, BSA, and now Athlon. They are probably pretty decent for the money, but those with a Toyota budget expecting a Ferrari are probably going to be pretty disappointed. The PAs have at least shown that they are pretty durable with repeatable adjustments, decent internal elevation, and OK glass quality. Falcon seems to have gotten better since SWFA started carrying their products. BSA and Athlon are low on the totem pole.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Bill7mm
    The BSA did exceptional last weekend on my 300 Weatherby out to 1200 yards and back to 100 and in between for about 50 rounds of 208 ELDs and IMR 7828. It did so well I ordered another one today for my Savage 7mm Rem Mag. I'm really impressed with the BSAs and the Primary Arms 4-14s. The mechanics are absolutely repeatable. And the glass is about the same as the SWFA 10x42 my neighbor has. I don't see any scope that out performs them for under 500$, maybe up to 700$...
    Last edited by Bill7mm; 03-25-2016 at 11:58 PM.