Thread: New Boyds Varmint Thumbhole Stock

New Boyds Varmint Thumbhole Stock

I bought a Savage 12FV from Cabelas at a very good price but the stock was a little flimsy. I bought a Boyds varmint thumbhole stock and it fit perfect with no in-letting and the barrel is free floated. The only problems I had was that the front bolt needs to be shortened slightly and I needed a different trigger guard Savage part number 105417. I think it turned out great and is much more rigid than the original stock.

Basic Member
    Put a thin washer on the screw,

Midnight_f150
    I'm thinking about going this route do you have a picture you can post of it?
    Last edited by Midnight_f150; 03-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Fordtough
    I'm picking up my new fcv in a week or so. I've been contemplating picking up a Boyd thumb hole stock soon after I get my rifle. Can I see photos of house yours came out?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
    I bought a Savage 12FV from Cabelas at a very good price but the stock was a little flimsy. I bought a Boyds varmint thumbhole stock and it fit perfect with no in-letting and the barrel is free floated. The only problems I had was that the front bolt needs to be shortened slightly and I needed a different trigger guard Savage part number 105417. I think it turned out great and is much more rigid than the original stock.

I don't know if it matters, but that p/n trigger guard is listed as fitting the long actions models, 110, 112. see http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...ku=855-000-205 hole spacing might be different.

Let me know if it does fit. I need one for my model 12FV. I'm currently using a SS one that fits my M12 BVSS. Savage CS did not have an identical one in black.

Boyd's also sells the trigger guard.

Basic Member
    Found my paperwork on the trigger guard purchase from Savage. My p/n 105928 in SS and fitting a model 12 is the same as the one identified as fitting a model 112 on the brownells website, so the p/n 105417 you provided will likely fit. I am ordering one now to better match my FV.

Not sure why Savage CS couldn't figure that out….but thanks to your research I will finally have a matching trigger guard.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Boyd's also sells the trigger guard.
    I can't find one on their website. I can only find a SS guard. Can you provide a link?

Stainless is all I see now at Boyd's also....bought a matte blue in January so I guess stainless is all they go with now. Gunshack has them but they are a bit pricey. Midway has them too.
    http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...trigger-guards

Basic Member
    Send me a stainless trigger guard and I will sandblast it and Gunkote it flat black and bake it for you. No charge. pretty much a perfect match of the factory blue.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Foxx. I think I will take you up on your generous offer if the one arriving this week is not the right one….again…..