Thread: Trijicon Accupoint 5-20 vs Zeiss Conquest 5-25 vs Vortex Viper PST 6-24

MNGunner

Trijicon Accupoint 5-20 vs Zeiss Conquest 5-25 vs Vortex Viper PST 6-24

I just checked out these three scopes at Cabelas to put on my Model 10 .223 (varmints, target shooting, possibly coyotes). Mounting with a Warne 20MOA one piece base.

Looking inside the store, the Zeiss seemed to have the best glass followed by the Trjicon, but all seemed close. All have external, target turrets.

Viper-illuminated reticle (mrad), FFP (least expensive)
    Trijicon-dual illumination no batteries, bad-MOA turrets with mil reticle
    Ziess-best glass (it seemed), Target turrets that you lift to turn (so they can't accidentally get moved).

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MNGunner; 03-09-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Team Savage
    I had the Zeiss. It was cool and glass was fantastic, but stay away from the z-1000 reticle. It made my eyeballs want to explode.

I actually traded it out for a bushnell elite LRHS 3-12x in FFP. Technically went down in magnification level, but realized that my rifle had no need for the Zeiss 25x magnification. It was overkill. Glass on this scope was on par or dang close to the Zeiss.

I have a bushnell elite 6-24 X 50 FFP scope on my 6.5 X 55 heavy barrel and love it. Simple Christmas tree style reticle, strong magnification when I need it, and easy to range with. I would say that it's definitely a bit behind the Zeiss in glass quality, though.

Basic Member
    Almost all glass looks good inside the store with all that bright fluorescent lighting. I have looked through all three of those scopes at the range, and I would rank the glass like you did. The acid test is to wait until last light and start looking into the shadows to determine if your scope can resolve animals/plants in low light. This is when the truly great coatings and glass shines. I haven't ever hunted with any of those scopes, but I have heard and seen written that the Trijicon is one slick scope at first and last light. But, those are not my experiences, just what I've read and heard...so take what I have to say for what it's worth (it was free).

MNGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtgraham01 View Post
    I had the Zeiss. It was cool and glass was fantastic, but stay away from the z-1000 reticle. It made my eyeballs want to explode.

I actually traded it out for a bushnell elite LRHS 3-12x in FFP. Technically went down in magnification level, but realized that my rifle had no need for the Zeiss 25x magnification. It was overkill. Glass on this scope was on par or dang close to the Zeiss.

I have a bushnell elite 6-24 X 50 FFP scope on my 6.5 X 55 heavy barrel and love it. Simple Christmas tree style reticle, strong magnification when I need it, and easy to range with. I would say that it's definitely a bit behind the Zeiss in glass quality, though.
    Did you only sell because you didn't like the reticle? Did you like everything else about the scope? Turrets adjustments? How do you think the Zeiss glass compares with the Bushnell?

Thanks!

MNGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnumdood View Post
    Almost all glass looks good inside the store with all that bright fluorescent lighting. I have looked through all three of those scopes at the range, and I would rank the glass like you did. The acid test is to wait until last light and start looking into the shadows to determine if your scope can resolve animals/plants in low light. This is when the truly great coatings and glass shines. I haven't ever hunted with any of those scopes, but I have heard and seen written that the Trijicon is one slick scope at first and last light. But, those are not my experiences, just what I've read and heard...so take what I have to say for what it's worth (it was free).
    Good advice. I wanted to pair it down and then have then take them out to the parking lot and take a look.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by MNGunner View Post
    Did you only sell because you didn't like the reticle? Did you like everything else about the scope? Turrets adjustments? How do you think the Zeiss glass compares with the Bushnell?

Thanks!

I actually got Zeiss to trade me out and give me a standard crosshair version. Exceptional customer service there.

Turrets were solid.

Zeiss glass has been more clear than my elite 6-24 X 50, but my bushnell elite lrhs 3-12 x44 is very close. I own a Zeiss 6.5-20 on a Remington 700 5R and love it. I have no aspirations of shooting it at unknown distances or ranging with reticle, so the clear glass and good turrets are my only needs.

I guess the question is whether you endeavor to range targets or holdover based on reticle. If you just want to shoot at known range, that Zeiss HD5 has phenomenally clear glass.

My perfect scenario is a Zeiss hd5 with FFP reticle in either 3-18 or 5-25 adjustable magnification.

Basic Member
    I don't think you really need any of those scopes on a 223. I have a fixed 10x Bushnell I believe 3200 (don't hold me to that)
    with target knobs and a mill dot reticle on my 223 varmit rifle. Its about a $250 dollar scope. I have a few extra scopes that are more expensive
    that I could put on that gun if I chose to. Something like a Nikon Buckmaster would also work as would some others mentioned here often.

MNGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtgraham01 View Post
    I actually got Zeiss to trade me out and give me a standard crosshair version. Exceptional customer service there.

Turrets were solid.

Zeiss glass has been more clear than my elite 6-24 X 50, but my bushnell elite lrhs 3-12 x44 is very close. I own a Zeiss 6.5-20 on a Remington 700 5R and love it. I have no aspirations of shooting it at unknown distances or ranging with reticle, so the clear glass and good turrets are my only needs.

I guess the question is whether you endeavor to range targets or holdover based on reticle. If you just want to shoot at known range, that Zeiss HD5 has phenomenally clear glass.

My perfect scenario is a Zeiss hd5 with FFP reticle in either 3-18 or 5-25 adjustable magnification.
    I don't have a range finder and even if I did, I like the idea of being able to use the reticle to determine range. I also like the idea of having illumination and not using it much than the other way around.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I don't think you really need any of those scopes on a 223. I have a fixed 10x Bushnell I believe 3200 (don't hold me to that)
    with target knobs and a mill dot reticle on my 223 varmit rifle. Its about a $250 dollar scope. I have a few extra scopes that are more expensive
    that I could put on that gun if I chose to. Something like a Nikon Buckmaster would also work as would some others mentioned here often.
    +1 from me.

I had gone overboard on glass initially with the 5-25 with a mid range dpms 308. Doing it over again, I would have set up a decent 3-12x in a Nikon or something like that.