Thread: Brand new here need some help

Pgoodman

Brand new here need some help

Hey I just joined the site. I am doing my first build. I ran into a problem and need some help. I am building a 6 BR. I have a choate stock, Shilen barrel, and Rifle basix trigger. Well I used an action I had from a Savage Axis .308 with bottom bolt release. Everything was going fine until I found out the hard way that a RB SAV2 trigger won't work with a bottom bolt release action. The bolt release plate that's mounted to the trigger guard hits the trigger. This will not allow me to mount the trigger guard. Any one found a remedy for this besides a different trigger. Has anyone milled material off the trigger to provide relief for the trigger guard????

Basic Member
    Don't have much experience with your issue but honestly, just sell the trigger and get a different one. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run. The Sav-2 is a great trigger, but it's hardly worth the additional $50 when your standard 3-screw triggers (Sav-1, Timney, etc.) are going to be more than suitable for your needs.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Are you sure you have Axis action ? Never heard of bottom bolt release Axis, SAV -2 trigger & Choate stock are not made for Axis.

Pgoodman
    The gun started it life as a youth model .308. It was one of the inexpensive combo rifle/scope deals. The old barrel said model 11, I assumed it was an Axis model 11
    i have been trying to modify the sav-2 trigger. If I'm successful I will post some pics of the modifications
    wonder if rifle basix would pay me for my design. Hahahahahahahahah

Totally different actions. Axis actions arent designated with numbers like the 110s or 10s are. Bolt removal on the axis isnt via a bottom release. Barrels will swap, so that maybe the source of the confusion.
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Pgoodman View Post
    The gun started it life as a youth model .308. It was one of the inexpensive combo rifle/scope deals. The old barrel said model 11, I assumed it was an Axis model 11
    i have been trying to modify the sav-2 trigger. If I'm successful I will post some pics of the modifications
    wonder if rifle basix would pay me for my design. Hahahahahahahahah
    Try putting your serial number into the Savage Parts Finder, the quickest way to find out just what it is you're working with before you start ordering parts.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Pgoodman
    Found out its a trophy hunter XP with serial #. Thanks for the help!
    I did get the SAV-2 trigger to work with BBR short action. I did not alter factory action or bolt release mechanism.