Thread: Spotting Scope

Vanilla Gorilla

Spotting Scope

Looking to buy a spotting scope. I would really like to spend as little as possible to be completely honest however, I don't want to get a piece of junk either. I have been looking at the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 and to me seems like the best bang for the buck. I am planning on attempting to do some shooting at 1000yds and just want something that is gonna be good to see out at that distance. If anyone has a Vortex Diamondback please let me know how it is working for you.

Kadams1563
    I am curious about this as well. I have been eyeballing the same one. I want something capable but not spend a fortune. Don't want anything from Barska or any other junk brand. Something that is actually good.

What are you expecting to see at 1000 yds in your new spotting scope?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Vanilla Gorilla
    Robinhood that is a good question. I guess I would like to be able to accurately make out a hit on steel at 1000yds. I know that trying to see a hole in paper at that distance would be much more difficult to make out. I hope that answers your question.

You don't need to see a hit in steel at 1000 yards, your ears will detect it if the steel is hung properly. I now use my drone for looking at targets at distance. It adds a new dimension to shooting and is so much easier than the spotter, especially out past 1000.
    When I was shopping for a spotting scope, I made a trip to my local Cabelas, where they were more than happy to set up as many as I wanted to look through for comparison. Best bang for the buck on the models I sampled was the Nikon Prostaff 5 in 20-60x82. It had the sharpest view of all that I tested in the $500-1000 price range. I went with the Viper HD 20-60x80 only because it's what I had my mind set on before I walked in the door. IMO I think I left the better scope at the sales counter.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Vanguard Endeavor HD Angled 20-60x82mm has been the best $500 I've spent on shooting gear to date
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You don't need to see a hit in steel at 1000 yards, your ears will detect it if the steel is hung properly. I now use my drone for looking at targets at distance. It adds a new dimension to shooting and is so much easier than the spotter, especially out past 1000.
    When I was shopping for a spotting scope, I made a trip to my local Cabelas, where they were more than happy to set up as many as I wanted to look through for comparison. Best bang for the buck on the models I sampled was the Nikon Prostaff 5 in 20-60x82. It had the sharpest view of all that I tested in the $500-1000 price range. I went with the Viper HD 20-60x80 only because it's what I had my mind set on before I walked in the door. IMO I think I left the better scope at the sales counter.
    What happens if you miss the steel? Worse yet you don't have a nome in a drone flying around telling you why? lol
    Long range shooting can be done alone. But it is elevated to another level when done with a second person using good
    optics acting as a spotter.

spotting scopes are way over rated,
    I shoot 100/200 and scopes are fine for those, anything longer you are better off investing in a laptop and ip camera to view your shots.
    You can use one of your old pda phones as an ip camera and use the laptop to view the target (connect to ip camera)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    spotting scopes are way over rated,
    I shoot 100/200 and scopes are fine for those, anything longer you are better off investing in a laptop and ip camera to view your shots.
    You can use one of your old pda phones as an ip camera and use the laptop to view the target (connect to ip camera)
    Well that's fine for a person who shoots at targets at a place you can get to to set up the equiptment.
    Then go back and pack up the equiptment when your finished shooting.
    An spotter could have a shooter on target while you would be driving to the location to set up the equiptment.
    At some point I suspect one might be able to do all this without ever leaving an air conditioned house. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Long range shooting can be done alone. But it is elevated to another level when done with a second person using good
    optics acting as a spotter.
    This exactly.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

For something inexpensive, I really like my Celestron Ultima 80 (20-60x80). It's well under $200 and hard to beat for the money.

I have a Konus 20x-60x-80mm
    newbie from gr, mi.

Vanilla Gorilla
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I did go to cabela's to look at the vortex but i didn't look at any others. I guess i needed to get some sort of a baseline and do some more research before i started looking at any others. As far as the drones and IP cameras go i don't think that is for me. I would much rather keep it simple and just use a spotting scope.

LongRange
    i looked at the Diamondback line when i bought my spotting scope and looked through several side by side and went with the 15-45x65 viper HD...i opted for less power but much better glass...something to keep in mind is you most likely wont be using all the power in your scope all the time anyway because of mirage.