Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage Stealth Review

Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    I had placed an order and paid for the Stealth 6.5 in January after shot show. I checked with Savage every week on the status of my order and was told each time they are running behind in production. So in June Savage finally told me it would possibly be sometime in November before I would get my rifle. I told Savage to shove their rifle and asked to get my money back. Got my check Monday.
    Good you got your money back !

I saw one for sale earlier today for 955.00

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jrs81
    I had the rpr in 308, the enhanced version model 18004. Overall the gun functioned flawlessly but the accuracy was not precision in my opinion. I tried 100's of different hand loads and same for factory match loads all with same results. 3 holes clover leaf and 2 off to the side. If it was just a 3 shot group that would be good, 3/4 moa but with the 2 off to the side it would be 1 moa to 1 1/2. Every group was like this and every group also had a first shot flier, regardless of clean or dirty bore. So I sold that and picked up a stealth 6.5 last week. Today was my 1st outing with it. I only had one box hornady 120 amax, and 10 rounds of the 140 amax, both factory. First ten rounds were used for barrel break in and sight in, I one shot clean blah blah blah. After sighting in I did a 3 shot group, all I'm the same hole. Cleaned again and did a 5 shot group, 3 in the same hole and 2 touching that hole, 1/2 moa easily. Had 2 rounds left and both were in the same hole again. The 140's had the exact same results! This gun is exactly what my thoughts on on precision, under 1/2 moa 5shot groups with factory ammo is superb in my opinion. I left the micrometer at home since it as the first outing and factory ammo, all groups were easily covered with a dime. Both guns had the same scope and rings used on them, viper PST 4-16-50 ffp. They were both shot off a lead sled and or bags. All shots were at 100 yards. So in the accuracy department the stealth all the way. I know I'm comparing a 308 to a 6.5 but it was only at 100 yards and the rpr in 6.5 is a ghost. That being said the rpr functioned flawlessly, the savage not so much. I had a few times with the 120 amax's that the round would cock going into the chamber being fed from the magazine, had to pull back the bolt a little and retry. One time I had to remove the magazine to get the round into the chamber. Also had a few that were hard to extract, bolt was stiff to lift and hard to pull back. The 140's had zero issues. Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by Jrs81; 07-10-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Jrs81
    Tried the next batch of loads today and results are as follows. H4350, Hornady brass, cci 200 primers, 140 nosler bt's. 41.4- 1 moa, 41.5, 3/4 moa, 41.6- 1 moa, 41.7- 1 1/8 moa, 41.8- .576 moa, 41.9- .686. All were five shot groups, 41.9 was really starting to show signs of over pressure, alot of head extrusion and all had a hard to lift bolt. All these were c.o.a.l 2.800, going to try 41.5 and 41.8 at 2.805 and longer next

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrs81 View Post
    Tried the next batch of loads today and results are as follows. H4350, Hornady brass, cci 200 primers, 140 nosler bt's. 41.4- 1 moa, 41.5, 3/4 moa, 41.6- 1 moa, 41.7- 1 1/8 moa, 41.8- .576 moa, 41.9- .686. All were five shot groups, 41.9 was really starting to show signs of over pressure, alot of head extrusion and all had a hard to lift bolt. All these were c.o.a.l 2.800, going to try 41.5 and 41.8 at 2.805 and longer next
    .1gr increments are a little tight to find a node. .3hrs or .55grs is best to find a node then small adjustments off of that. I use find a node in a .3-.5grs range that all pretty much shoot alike.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Jrs81
    Maybe that's how I ended up with the best results from groups 41.5 and 41.8 being that was .3 difference. I never knew that but that theory proves itself with my results! I was more or less trying to find maximum charge for that round. How much of a difference do you see from seating depths LoneWolf? I started at 2.800, planning on 2.805 and longer from here.. any advice on that would be appreciated

Basic Member
    I only mess with seating depth as a last resort. Most of group shooting is shooter reliant, so I do 3 shot groups and tightest group wins. After that I mess with it when I see a difference or inconsistency. As long as I have 1/2MOA or better I'm perfectly happy with my load dev.

Basic Member
    So I played with the Svage Stealth a little bit at the local DSG. It was surprisingly solid feeling. Even though it's "blueprinted" it didn't feel much smoother than the M10 I worked on and upgraded with a PTG bolt body. I won't really know what to think unless I get to run a couple mags through one at some point. I did notice that the extractor had an interesting cut on the lower side that I haven't seen on other Savage bolt heads.

First impression actually seemed pretty good for what Savage is trying to pull together. If I see one at the range sometime I'll try to see if I can run a few rounds through it!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    So I played with the Svage Stealth a little bit at the local DSG. It was surprisingly solid feeling. Even though it's "blueprinted" it didn't feel much smoother than the M10 I worked on and upgraded with a PTG bolt body. I won't really know what to think unless I get to run a couple mags through one at some point. I did notice that the extractor had an interesting cut on the lower side that I haven't seen on other Savage bolt heads.

First impression actually seemed pretty good for what Savage is trying to pull together. If I see one at the range sometime I'll try to see if I can run a few rounds through it!

Did you noticed that the barrel - on the Creedmoor 6.5 - is only 22" . . .

Basic Member
    I did, but people have ran in the top 50 with barrels from 22"-26". I've been thinking about a 22" if I start running a suppressor myself.

I did, but people have ran in the top 50 with barrels from 22"-26". I've been thinking about a 22" if I start running a suppressor myself.

22" and a suppressor 🖒

I can only dream of that here in CA 😣

Basic Member
    Some interesting reading on that link DrThunder. I'd like to hear what the actual operators thought compared to the guy trying to boost his future sales. I strongly believe that the accuracy was acceptable. I just have a hard time believing that the action functioned to the capability required for use in very austere conditions. I.E. Sand storms, rain, snow, mud and everything else that proves an actions capabilities.

I just have yet to see a Savage action make it through one of our matches out here on the west coast without some type feeding, ejection, or extraction issues. That was my experience and the experience of those running them. Maybe they do better on the east coast where there is less sand and dust blowing around? I will never argue the accuracy when using a Savage action, but the reliability factor will always linger in the back of my mind.
    I ran my Savage LRP for nearly two years without issue while shooting with the NorCal precision club. I was thinking I'd use it for this weekend's match since I haven't shot it in awhile.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123