Thread: Savage Model 10 FCP-SR 24"... want an HS Precision stock or Boyd's tacticool stock

TRDFurgesson

Savage Model 10 FCP-SR 24"... want an HS Precision stock or Boyd's tacticool stock

So I have a few options:

1) Buy a new 10 FCP-HS and get a blind mag when I really want an detachable box and add an EGW rail.

problem: Which EGW 20 moa scope rail? Round rear or Flat rear??

2) Buy a new 10 FCP-SR with the extended box mag I want and add an HS Precision PST114.

problem: Stockystocks website says that the PST114 WILL NOT FIT THE MODELS WITH THE ACCUSTOCK

3) Buy a new 10 FCP-SR with the extended box mag I want and add a Boyd's Tacticool stock I have one for my Mark II FV and love it

Problem: This stock is for a blind magazine and the FCP-SR has a detachable box.

I searched the forums for this info for awhile before posting, hope I haven't overlooked something.

Thanks,
    Bobby

TRDFurgesson
    Just found out that the 10 round center feed mag from an FCP-SR fits right in a blind mag of a 10T. I wonder if that 10 round center feed mag will fit in a FCP-HS???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDFurgesson View Post
    So I have a few options:

1) Buy a new 10 FCP-HS and get a blind mag when I really want an detachable box and add an EGW rail.

problem: Which EGW 20 moa scope rail? Round rear or Flat rear??

You will want a round rear receiver rail

2) Buy a new 10 FCP-SR with the extended box mag I want and add an HS Precision PST114.

problem: Stockystocks website says that the PST114 WILL NOT FIT THE MODELS WITH THE ACCUSTOCK

3) Buy a new 10 FCP-SR with the extended box mag I want and add a Boyd's Tacticool stock I have one for my Mark II FV and love it

Problem: This stock is for a blind magazine and the FCP-SR has a detachable box.

From what I have been reading on here, you can change rifles from blind mag to detachable box. I am not sure exactly which components are needing to accomplish this though

I searched the forums for this info for awhile before posting, hope I haven't overlooked something.

Thanks,
    Bobby
    Savage actually makes an FCP-HS from the factory that includes a 24" barrel and an HS-Precision stock. I believe you can find them for ~1k, possibly a little more
    Common sense is not common

TRDFurgesson
    Update, My Savage 10 FCP-HS in .308 is on its way from Bud's. Also on its way is:

CDI Precision Trigger Guard for AICS Detachable Box Magazine and a 10 round AICS mag
    EGW 20 MOA base round rear
    Warne 30mm Maxima rings
    Leupold Mark 4 ERT 6.5-20x 50mm, M5 turrets, mil dot reticle, w/ alumina shade and covers
    Redding bushing neck die, .336 bushing + carbide button, Competion bullet seater, LnL shell plate
    I have a spare Atlas PSR QD bipod and the Atlas rail piece for attachment
    need a Pelican Storm 3300

Basic Member
    Sounds like an awesome build! Post some pics when it starts to come together
    Common sense is not common

TRDFurgesson
    I got all the goodies today from Midway, but have to wait until tomorrow for the rifle. I posted in "optics" about a scope choice of Leupold Mark 4 E/RT FFP M5's. Trying to decide between the 6.5-20x or the 8.5x25x.

TRDFurgesson
    I could not be happier with my new Savage!! The Mark 4 is even better than I thought it would be. The bore sight shot was only 4" off POA. My first two groups after sighting were done on the rest. All others were done on the bipod.

Federal XM80CL 1.750" 5 shot

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK .520" 4 shot

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK .575" 5 shot

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK .625" 5 shot
    Last edited by TRDFurgesson; 03-13-2016 at 01:29 PM.

What kind of rest is that?

Basic Member
    Sweet gun. Really like the Hs precision. Did you have to do any inletting for the CDI or did it screw right on?

TRDFurgesson
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide Glide View Post
    What kind of rest is that?
    It is made by stony point. It's been pretty good for rifles with less recoil. Unfortunately the pocket for the butt pad is not going to last much longer. The metal underneath the plastic coating has come apart and it flexes very easily. I always back it up with my shoulder to keep it from breaking all the way. Most of the wear on this rest is from AR's. It was relatively cheap and I think knowing what I know now I should have gone with a Caldwell Sled.

TRDFurgesson
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Sweet gun. Really like the Hs precision. Did you have to do any inletting for the CDI or did it screw right on?
    Thank you, The HS seems very stout, but still needs a riser for medium rings. The CDI fit very tightly so I did have to inlet the aft sides of the aluminum magazine well box with a file, but not much. I was able to wedge it in place without releaving the rear of that box but decided to disassemble it and make it fit just a little better. Initial thoughts on the magazines are I prefer the Pmags to the AICS mags, they are far smoother, and quieter.

Cheers

TRDFurgesson
    Savage 10 FCP-HS / CDI bottom metal with AI mags / Leupold Mark 4 E/RT 8.5-25x 50mm / Warne steel rings and base / Bradley cheek rest / Atlas PSR bipod

First 3 shot group at 300 yards (Fed GMM 168 SMK)

Load development at 100 yards (3 shot groups) I thought they may be flukes but confirmed them in all three rounds at sub 1/4 moa. Original measurements done at the range with a ruler, corrected later at home with calipers. Varget and H4895 were sub 1/2 moa no better than factory GMM.

remeasured with calipers at .190"

remeasures with calipers at .150"

Cheers,
    Bobby

TRDFurgesson
    I recently found out that my aluminum EGW base and steel Warne rings are not the right combination. From what I have read you could put aluminum on the steel but not steel on aluminum. So the most recent addition is a Warne steel base and Warne steel Maxima low rings. I started off with medium rings. With the B24 Bradley cheek rest, fit is perfection for me. I like the design of the Warne steel base with full rail lugs vs the EGW with the center section relieved. If you plan to use a LaRue mount I would recommend the Warne base with full lugs.