Thread: Bullet pulling technique

Basic Member

Bullet pulling technique

A shooting buddy of mine broke the hammer part of his bullet puller and asked to use mine for his last few pulls. I invited him over and he noticed that I did not use the little aluminum collets in mine. When I told him that I used, and had been using. caliber specific cartridge holders from my reloading dies, he seemed shocked and surprised. Said he'd never heard of using them, and said I ought to let every reloader I know about this technique. So that's it, folks! No more chasing around finding the little rubber O rings or pieces of aluminum; just use the shell holder and save yourself the grief.

I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something and I've been reloading for over 40 years! If I'm pulling down a bunch of rounds, I go to my RCBS collet bullet puller in my Rockchucker press. Much faster than the impact puller.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something and I've been reloading for over 40 years! If I'm pulling down a bunch of rounds, I go to my RCBS collet bullet puller in my Rockchucker press. Much faster than the impact puller.
    mostly I just shoot them. Very seldom pull a bullet. Maybe for a backwards primer but I am just as likely to throw it in the trash.

hate the kinetic pullers. If for some reason I had a bunch I would use the collet puller. I use this one very rarely.

Basic Member
    Another slick trick is to use a Tube Flairing Tool. It is demonstrated on YouTube :-)

Basic Member
    I really appreciate my rcbs puller. Have a collet for each bullet diameter i play with.

Basic Member
    If the bullet has been in the case long enough, (none) of the above will work.
    In which case a large pair of dikes or a set of channel locks will get it done
    by using the press. Throw away the bullet of coarse.

Basic Member
    The RCBS die bullet puller has never failed me. But do use the tube flaring tool for my 50BMG bullets. Works great but does leave more marks on the bullet.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    What I found over the years is to seat the bullet a few thousandths deeper and it will then pull easier.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    The bond between case and bullet jacket is easily broken by seating the bullet a thou deeper and breaking the bond right before pulling. I had some ancient 270's that no matter how hard I whacked the inertia puller they wouldn't budge. Ran them thru the seating die and they came out first try.