Thread: Savage 11 VT in 223, best group at 100 yards

Basic Member

Savage 11 VT in 223, best group at 100 yards

Hi all,

First post here.
    I got a Savage 11 VT in 223 at Dicks, for $399. Model comes with plastic stock and Bushnell scope.

My idea is to use this rifle for target shooting only, so the heavy barrel is actually something that I wanted.

I did not have time to do any of the changes I wanted, just took it to the range after some cleaning.

This is the best group I got with Fiocchi Extrema Hornady V-Max 50 grain (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...max-ammunition)

Pretty impressive with what the rifle can do out of the box, with the not so good scope...

Changes I'm planning to do are:

Boyds Stock
    Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x 50mm
    Harris Bipod

And I think now is time to start doing some reloading... I'm completely new to reloading, will have to learn everything from scratch, as I only shoot 22lr.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Is that 5 shots? And no flyer - you found a good one! A stock that fits you and better scope, it will reach out there. Congratulations!

Basic Member
    Great shooting.....when you go to buy reloading supplies for that rifle get a jug of H335 and some bullets in the 40-55 grain range and you'll be in business.

Team Savage
    Sir, that is outstanding

Basic Member
    Yes, that is 5 shoots with the factory loads. This is the best group I had, kind of hard to do this with a 12x scope. I did not clean the rifle during the entire session, this group was done after around 30 shoots.

Stock from Boyds arrived yesterday, I still have to trim it since it was not for Heavy Barrel, and I want it to be free floating.

All metal parts from Savage also arrived, the magazine case is so much better.

The Vortex also arrived, but no rings. Today I will get some 30 mm rings and get it ready for the weekend. The scope seems to be much much better.

Some good barrel cleaning should also help. :)

I will post pictures of the rifle tonight.

I will try that powder suggestion, and I have so many things to buy for reloading. I think I will start with a very simple press, and the basic material.

Thanks guys!

Team Savage
    Hi Guys, I have a Model 12 BVSS in .223. I have tried the H335, IMR4895, and even 8208XBR powders with Hornady V-Max 55gr.
    Overall for me I had slightly better luck with the IMR4895 and the 8208XBR but it was very close. I did like how the H335 worked but the groups were a bit looser.
    Right now I am at about 24.3 of the 8208XBR, with a CCI small rifle primer and the V-Max 55 gr. I'm gonna stick with that for now, the components were available when I needed them.
    BTW, that is an impressive group, keep up the good work and have fun..
    Halftrack

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgmorales View Post
    Some good barrel cleaning should also help. :)

Don't bother cleaning it until the accuracy starts to fall off.....If it's shooting that well with 30 rounds down the barrel keep going until you notice a difference in your groups.

The rifle will tell you when it needs to be cleaned.

Basic Member
    All parts arrived this is how it looks like now:

Together with my Mark II 22lr

I got the high rings for the scope, do you guys see any issues? I'm using the medium ones on the Mark II

Basic Member
    I've always subscribed to the "keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible" mantra. I think both of your scopes are mounted way too high. There are several factors affected by this.....Specifically cheek weld, scope adjustment and making the rifle top heavy. Unless you are doing distance shooting and need to use tapered bases I think you should lower your scopes some. They sure look awfully uncomfortable to shoot.

Here's some interesting reading.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_VX-L.htm

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon555 View Post
    Don't bother cleaning it until the accuracy starts to fall off.....If it's shooting that well with 30 rounds down the barrel keep going until you notice a difference in your groups.

The rifle will tell you when it needs to be cleaned.
    ^^^agreed...to the OP the barrel likes being dirty if it took 30 rounds to shoot a nice group.

I've always subscribed to the "keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible" mantra. I think both of your scopes are mounted way too high. There are several factors affected by this.....Specifically cheek weld, scope adjustment and making the rifle top heavy. Unless you are doing distance shooting and need to use tapered bases I think you should lower your scopes some. They sure look awfully uncomfortable to shoot.

agree with the scopes being a little to high as well...the lower the better...lotta guys shooting 223s on the board here so dont be afraid to ask questions.

I hope you didn't break it. :)
    You know the ol "If it aint broke........"

If I get an out of the box "shooter" I might tinker the load a little but other than that I tend to leave it alone until it aint workin right anymore.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I did not break it!

All changes went very well, the scope is amazing, and I was able to do some really nice groups today at 100 yards.

Now I think that after 200+ shoots, it is time to clean the barrel.

Talked to a very experienced guy at the range, he told me I may not be able to do better groups with factory ammo. I need to buy everything, I don't have any equipment to reload...

Those are the best and worse groups I did today:

Basic Member
    Awesome. I have been wanting a Hog Hunter in .223 for awhile but now seeing these for this price I am tempted. I really want a 20" barrel with a faster twist like 1:8 or 1:7 but I am going cheap for now, stick with the stock 1:9 and hope it at least shoots 69 grainers until I rebarrel. In that case the hog hunters threaded barrel doesnt really matter as much. Want to throw it in a Bell and Carlson.
    That VT you have has a 26" correct? Have you tried any of the heavier bullets yet? Awesome shooting and awesome deal as well.

Basic Member

I used to pretty much think the same way, but I figured out other than cheek weld it really doesn't matter adjustment wise, really makes almost no difference. Its almost more comfortable to have a scope a little higher up you dont have to screw your neck/head over sideways as much. I do agree though cheek weld really does have to be pretty close to perfect for me. I remedy that with some craft store rubber foam pad and some black athletic tape.

Basic Member
    I haven't tried any of those heavier bullets, but just bought some Hornady Match, which are heavier. I will test this weekend if weather allows me, and will let you know.

The barrel is 26".

I have not complains with the position of the scope now, it is very comfortable, and took me two clicks to zero the scope.

I haven't tried any of those heavier bullets, but just bought some Hornady Match, which are heavier. I will test this weekend if weather allows me, and will let you know.

The barrel is 26".

I have not complains with the position of the scope now, it is very comfortable, and took me two clicks to zero the scope.

If it works for you then roll with it. I'm not disciplined enough with my cheek weld to run it that high, but I'm not shooting your rig. I love that viper My cousin has one on his rem 700 .223 and it is lights out. Even a slob shooter like me can ring steel with it at 800 yards!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    One thing to keep in mind is to make sure that everything is level when you are shooting. Canting the rifle just a little bit gets magnified down range even more the higher the scope is mounted.

Basic Member
    You guys are correct. Also, the pictures are not showing, but I changed the rings, it is not mounted with the high ones anymore, the rifle has the medium rings, so it is a little bit lower.

I also got a bubble level for the scope, to make sure it is leveled when I use it.

Still not able to level the rifle with this bipod, will have to change the bipod a little bit to get the rifle in the right position.

To install the scope, I'm using a digital level that I have that is used to adjust the blade pitch on Remote controlled Helicopters, it is super precise.

I have a wood surface which is very flat, so I place it in a counter top, them I level the wood surface.

Them I place the rifle with with lower part of the rings, and level the rifle on the surface.

Them I place the scope, with this level on the elevation adjustment knob, and level the scope.

After that I place the bubble level with the scope leveled, and level it too.

After this tedious process, it should be ok :)

Next thing to do with this rifle would be some bedding. But I don't see major advantages in bedding a 223.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

I would install some alumn action pillars. The screws will compress the laminate in the stock.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    By the way, the Vortex Viper is amazing... If it was not for the price, the 22lr would have one.

But I cannot afford two 600 bucks scopes.

The clarity on the Viper is awesome, the reticle, the Mil Mil adjustments, the sharp focus... it is very very good.