Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1500 yard plus gun

1500 yard plus gun

Ok guys, I have the urge to build a 1500 yard and out gun for steel mainly and be on as much of a budget as building a gun like that can be.
    I have been thinking of going with either a 300 win mag and shooting 212 eld-xs or a 338 lapua and shooting 250-300 grainers. I am also open to other caliber options.

Let me know your opinions and suggestions!

Michael

On a budget?

The only way to go is get a donor 7mm (Savage) and screw a 338 Edge Barrel on it. If you play your cards right, you will have less than $1,200 in the rifle (with the new barrel). Then get a "good" scope and put it on. You should be ready to go!

Any questions, just PM me.

I built one just like stated above, and it's an argument as to which one is better, the Lapua or the Edge! I shoot 165 grain bullets up to the 300 Bergers in this rifle.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    You can find used long action guns complete for at local him shops for less than $200. Under $300 for an X-Caliber barrel from Apache Gun Works then whatever stock, trigger and scope of your flavor for under $1000. I bet. I did it with my .308 build

Basic Member
    Be aware that you'll need a .338 Lapua action if you decide to go that route. They are heat-treated differently than standard large shank long actions to withstand the higher pressures of that cartridge. Most barrel manufacturers will not make Lapua prefits for this very reason.

The .300wm will certainly get you to 1,500 yards, but the heavier .338 caliber bullets are really going to outshine it for any type of shooting beyond 1k. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend doing exactly what Dennis said... The .338 Edge is certainly a viable option, and can be built on a standard large or small shank action - just be aware that reloading components (dies, brass, etc.) are relatively hard to come by and are expensive when you do.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Be aware that you'll need a .338 Lapua action if you decide to go that route. They are heat-treated differently than standard large shank long actions to withstand the higher pressures of that cartridge. Most barrel manufacturers will not make Lapua prefits for this very reason.

The .300wm will certainly get you to 1,500 yards, but the heavier .338 caliber bullets are really going to outshine it for any type of shooting beyond 1k. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend doing exactly what Dennis said... The .338 Edge is certainly a viable option, and can be built on a standard large or small shank action - just be aware that reloading components (dies, brass, etc.) are relatively hard to come by and are expensive when you do.
    The 338 Lapua accessories are very expensive as well.

Check this website for brass and die set: http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.p...ducts?start=15

Dennis

I just bought a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision 338 Lapua on Monday
    Picking it up next week
    Hope I like it as much as my Savage 12 LRP Creedmoor 6.5
    Blast of a rifle

If I go with a win mag I will be building it myself, if I go with a 338 LM I will buy a savage and already in 338 LM and go from there.
    When I say on a budget I mean I am not going to be buying a Barret or sako.
    Thanks for the input guys!

Was a deal I couldn't resist
    Actually I wasn't looking for a 338 Lapua at all.
    But now I am gonna have fun with it
    Need to get another base since the one on the rifle is only 20 MOA
    And we are gonna try to shoot it at 2000+ yards
    Last edited by Kingair001; 03-02-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Follow Dennis's advise, you won't be disappointed. I'm currently working with a 116 in 338 WinMag for distance and if I can't get out far enough for my satisfaction I'll have it rechambered to the edge.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I am buying the new single shot 112 Magnum target for my 338 build. Let's be honest here, if you plan to shoot 1500+ with a big 338 and 300gr bullets you're not going to be able to fit them in a mag, even a CIP length mag is usually to short. I plan on selling the stock immediately, as I know the comb will be to low for my liking, and putting it in a Manner's T5A or might try my first chassis with this build. I'm going to run the factory barrel while I wait for the 30" X-cal to get here. You can find this gun for $899.99 at several online dealers and it has a $100 rebate right now. Getting into a lapua for $800 is about as cheap as it gets. Don't forget about the components as well, lapua brass, dies, bullets, etc you're looking at another 4 to 5 hundred dollars for that as well. There nothing cheap about playing with the big 338's but man that feeling you get the first time you bang steel at a mile makes it all worth it.

If I keep the Savage 110 338 Lapua I am gonna have my stock modified with a cheek riser
    Actually I am gonna do the same with my Savage 12 LRP
    I am gonna ship it next week

Basic Member
    You folks wanting a 338 may want to wait for the new stealths coming out shortly. From what I have read and heard, the 338 will run around $1500.00.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

You don't have to wait
    You can swap now already
    All you need is one of the chassis below
    These are the ones Savage is gonna use for the Savage 110 Stealth

http://mdttac.com/lss-xl-chassis-system.html

Just bought an AI 28 MOA scope mount
    So now I have 118 MOA to go or around 2450 yards
    That's good to start !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    I am buying the new single shot 112 Magnum target for my 338 build. Let's be honest here, if you plan to shoot 1500+ with a big 338 and 300gr bullets you're not going to be able to fit them in a mag, even a CIP length mag is usually to short. I plan on selling the stock immediately, as I know the comb will be to low for my liking, and putting it in a Manner's T5A or might try my first chassis with this build. I'm going to run the factory barrel while I wait for the 30" X-cal to get here. You can find this gun for $899.99 at several online dealers and it has a $100 rebate right now. Getting into a lapua for $800 is about as cheap as it gets. Don't forget about the components as well, lapua brass, dies, bullets, etc you're looking at another 4 to 5 hundred dollars for that as well. There nothing cheap about playing with the big 338's but man that feeling you get the first time you bang steel at a mile makes it all worth it.
    I run into the lands before I run into mag length constaints in my CIP length mags with 250s, 285s, and 300s...
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

The Lapua's, RUM's, etc. we shoot all become single feed with the 300gr Bergers out near the lands.

I have 10 round magazines for my Savage 12 LRP but always single feed in F-Class

Basic Member
    I would look at the classic 7mm rem mag with 180gr berger hybrids or 264win mag with 140g berger hybrids. Either will easily get out to 1500 yards with less powder, less recoil than a 338 edge or lm.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've already got a 6.5x55 swed on a savage action and a 7mm mag, both are probably capable, but I told my wife I need another :-)

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I would look at the classic 7mm rem mag with 180gr berger hybrids or 264win mag with 140g berger hybrids. Either will easily get out to 1500 yards with less powder, less recoil than a 338 edge or lm.
    Both are an option but here the Long Range matches start at 2000+ yards
    It all depends what you want to do
    But building a rifle and noticing tomorrow that you run 500+ yards short . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mthomas90 View Post
    I've already got a 6.5x55 swed on a savage action and a 7mm mag, both are probably capable, but I told my wife I need another :-)
    Than you definitely need a 338 Lapua 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    Than you definitely need a 338 Lapua 
    Or the 338 Edge, price both of them and weigh it out. If you have questions, let me know. I have had both, but only have the Edge now as we speak.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Or the 338 Edge, price both of them and weigh it out. If you have questions, let me know. I have had both, but only have the Edge now as we speak.

Dennis
    Why did you get rid of the 338 Lapua and kept the 338 Edge ?

Basic Member
    Both are an option but here the Long Range matches start at 2000+ yards
    It all depends what you want to do
    But building a rifle and noticing tomorrow that you run 500+ yards short . . .
    Lots of cartridges would be capable of reaching 1500 yards and even more.
    But just getting there isn't really enough. But that's about all a 7 Rem or any of the 6.5s would be capable of.
    Sit behind them as their being shot while using good tripod mounted optics and observe the differences.
    The 300 gr 338 bullets alone are not a magic long range pill. 338 cartridges with velocities under 3000 fps using 300 gr
    cant compete with those that do at extreme range. That's not just an opinion, but simply a fact.
    Anyone who hasent actually (watched) them being shot might not be aware or agree with me on that. So unless you have done so,
    reserve your remarks until you have. Velocity coupled with bullet weight are both a requirement which is why many 338 owners choose lighter bullets. If I were to consider a cartridge for shooting 2000 yd matches where I wished being competitive, it would be a .375 capable of velocities over 3000 fps. Otherwise id suggest being happy with shorter distances. The edge or the lapua are as far as you will go without the serious expence
    of new loading equiptment. But neither are good 2000 yd cartridges.

Why did you get rid of the 338 Lapua and kept the 338 Edge ?
    I had a sale for the Lapua, plus the Edge was shooting equal if not better than the Lapua. I didn't need both, plus I only had about $1,200 in the Edge. I am still having fun with it and don't miss the Lapua.

See the Picture below, 3 rounds @ 300 yards and a quarter completely cover the 300 grain Scenar holes.

[IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast