Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid State Laws

Basic Member

With the above cases being decided in favor of 2A, There may be hope yet for California. They may be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

There was also recently a appeals court victory for gun owners in Maryland, requiring the State court to apply strict scrutiny to all 2A cases. Their gun control regime will not likely stand.

2. 03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
    Reason
    Political

All that convoluted crap is enough to keep me happy right here in the south.
    Wish we had constitutional carry but we don't... Yet... so having a Georgia weapons carry license is I guess the next best thing in this area anyway.
    It is recognized as reciprocal by all our bordering states except South Carolina (completely retarded) and several others throughout the US as well. Georgia also welcomes permits from states we share reciprocity with and you can carry pretty much anything you darn well please. Very few places are "Off Limits" and signs carry no weight except that if asked to leave because of a sidearm and a sign you must leave to avoid a possible trespass charge. I do however try to respect a business owners right to not have my patronage and my money if he chooses to place a no firearms sign.

I never have understood the "open carry" thing and only use hip holsters for comfort while hunting or other activitys that don't take place in public.
    For self defense and prefer a nice concealed carry setup, I really like the Alien gear Cloak Tuck 3 along with their reinforced bridle leather gun belt.
    What those around me don't know seems to be an advantage and things just seem to be much smoother if the sheep around lawful concealed carriers just remain blissfully unaware.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE]I never have understood the "open carry" thing...[/QUOTE]

Because you can. A right unexercised is a right lost.

Also to condition others that is OK, no reason for alarm, just the exercise of a right. You can also, no requirement to beg permission.

Look that Cop is open carrying also! What ya say? "But he's a cop..."? Oh, so open carry is alright if you are a state employee but not if you are a mere mortal "citizen"?

I was referring to not understanding open carry as "why I would want to paint a target on my back."
    My side arm is my very last line of defense not my first.
    We really live in a screwed up world and there are too many nut jobs who seek to start confrontation with no regard for the outcome.
    What they dont know wont hurt anyone. What they think they know or what they may do just might, and I aint got time for that.
    You would probably be shocked and surprised how often "open carrier"s are robbed of their firearm and never had a chance.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I do not agree with your premise, that open carry invites stolen weapons. It presumes that every open carrier is an incompetent boob who cannot control his weapon, nor can he defend his life and property in a timely manner.

If that premise applies to me, it applies to every cop who wears a sidearm openly.

The same might be said of women who open carry a purse. They are just inviting a thief to rob them. Therefor, no woman should openly carry her purse.

Free men have the right to bear arms. Period.

Open carry is a natural exercise of that right. Open carry is honest. Our people have been conditioned to think of openly carrying a sidearm as an illegal act. It had fallen out of practice in the twentieth century in most places. However, in most states it has been perfectly legal all along. The fact that it fell out of practice doesn't make it illegal or immoral.
    Last edited by yew plucker; 04-10-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Logictox
    Open carry is a touchy subject IMHO. I've been a long time CHL holder and was for years a CHL instructor for the state of Texas. Like all things there is a time and a place for everything. I believe the open carry movement in the state of Texas did gun owners more harm than good. They staged at busy intersections to make their point, all of them sporting AR's or AK's. Now that it is the law and I appreciate having it the timing is still an issue. If you are going to Krogers to get groceries do you really need a 44 mag on your hip or would that LCR in an ankle holster serve you better?

Basic Member
    Logictox, I won't argue etiquette with you. I also held a CHL in Texas for a while. The "Shall Issue" laws which were passed by most states in the 1990's were a step in the right direction, being the means to get more people carrying and more people into the gun culture. When I tell people it had been illegal to carry a handgun in Texas since Reconstruction, they can't believe it. (What? In Texas?)

Yes there is a way to behave in polite society. I am not one of those "In Your Face F-You" kind of people. I do believe, however, that government has no place "permitting" me and charging money, or telling me I must ask permission, before I exercise a Natural and Constitutionally secured Right. I think Constitutional Carry will pass in a year of two. Texas will be brought kicking and screaming into the fold. I now live in Montana. Last year the pro-gun governor vetoed Constitutional Carry, citing testimony from some Sheriff's and Chief's of police about officer safety. The Police should NEVER have the last word one it comes to the exercise of Natural Rights. As Robert Duval said in Open Range, "Ooooh... sticks in my craw."

Basic Member

Red Flag Laws, Might be interesting reading

Quote Originally Posted by yew plucker View Post
    Logictox, I won't argue etiquette with you. I also held a CHL in Texas for a while. The "Shall Issue" laws which were passed by most states in the 1990's were a step in the right direction, being the means to get more people carrying and more people into the gun culture. When I tell people it had been illegal to carry a handgun in Texas since Reconstruction, they can't believe it. (What? In Texas?)

Yes there is a way to behave in polite society. I am not one of those "In Your Face F-You" kind of people. I do believe, however, that government has no place "permitting" me and charging money, or telling me I must ask permission, before I exercise a Natural and Constitutionally secured Right. I think Constitutional Carry will pass in a year of two. Texas will be brought kicking and screaming into the fold. I now live in Montana. Last year the pro-gun governor vetoed Constitutional Carry, citing testimony from some Sheriff's and Chief's of police about officer safety. The Police should NEVER have the last word one it comes to the exercise of Natural Rights. As Robert Duval said in Open Range, "Ooooh... sticks in my craw."
    Old post from 2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12