Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid State Laws

Basic Member

Stupid State Laws

I was working in Iraq in late 2004. A friend and I, both doing security work, started talking guns. He told me he was from Massachusetts and since his chief of police was a former Marine and he was a former Jarhead also, he got a CCW along with special endorsement for semi-automatic, special endorsement for hi capacity magazine, and a couple other things. I started laughing. He asked me what was so funny. I told him that in free states all the above can be done by any non-felon without any social permission. He really thought the was odd. People who live under a heavy yoke can't imagine what it is like not to.

Mass. residents please don't hammer me for my lack of knowledge of your laws. The above is the best of my memory of the conversation.

My question, though, is why do you live under these restrictions? New York, New Jersey, Mass, etc., why aren't those laws being struck down since Heller and McDonald?

Michigan has a few weird ones. Weirdest is about pistol-free zones. Without a CPL any person legally able to possess a gun can carry a pistol openly in public EXCEPT in statutory pistol-free zones. CPL holders aren't able to carry concealed in said pistol-free zones but can carry openly there.

Basic Member
    In Texas you pay a fee, and you can buy a silencer. A couple of weeks ago at the range, a guy was shooting a 300 black out at 50 yds, subsonic load with silencer, incredibly quiet. Made about the same noise as shooting a spit ball. Not kidding! You could hear a mouse fart over this guy while he was shooting.

Sometimes, just to make a political point regarding guns, our Texas legislature passes some of the most bone-head laws. Like the one recently passed allowing college students to carry, open or concealed, in classrooms!

Anyone with kids in their late teens, early twenties knows just how prone kids are to doing really stupid things. Something about not having a fully formed frontal lobe yet. Don't possess that key piece of brain that says "hold on thar….might want'a think this through" before jumping sand dunes with a snowmobile.

Kids…………with guns…………….in classrooms…………. ……….. =

Stiven
    I live in mass and it sucks

Why don't I leave family and money to be Frank.

Pretty much what your buddy siad was true. Cops can deny for whatever reason. The special exemptions don't really exist.

You have an ltc permit. It can have restrictions like no carry/sporting Hunting only. And every town is different , yup 350 different rules for town residents. My permit is good state wide for what I was issued by my town. Save for Boston no hicaps at all. There's no exemptions for hicap mags anything over 10rds is no go , save for prebans. Your friend more than likely has an ltc with no restrictions, what most states call a ccw permit. We've made some strides but none of them were done by the national gun groups. Comm2a is probably the best group to support in MA, they don't lobby they go straight to legal action. Goal is another one but again they lobby and will compromise.

There's more anti gun people than pro and even more who don't give a **** because they don't own guns. The NRA? They don't care about the citizens of MA.

I could go on and on but I'm on a phone.

I can vouch for Stiven he speaks the truth, there is even a town where you have to write an SA "just like high school" justifying why you need a LTC.

Dean

PS: 2 more years and counting
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Living in CT we got some stupid laws especially over the past few years. We can have cans and fully auto weapons but if that fully auto weapon has a selector switch to semi then it's an "assault weapon" and you can't have it. LOL Now we can only carry 10 round magazines even if you registered "high" caps. And the first magazine you carry can be a "high" cap downloaded to 10 but the second mag has to be a 10 round only mag. So stupid!

I have lived here my whole life, except for my Marine Corps time, but when I can retire next year I am moving to NC. Already have property and should be building a house end of this year or beginning of next. I understand people who can't move and you have to do your best as I have been but I can't wait to get to a free state.

LongRange
    you guys all need to move out west....both these spots(and many more)10mins from my drive way...and we dont have all the crazy laws...i cant imagiane living in a state like that...

1845yds from my rifle to the bottom edge of the dot...

Stiven
    I personally love New England

Basic Member
    I love the country and weather, except for the winters as I get older, and that is why the area we are moving to in NC is very similar but with more freedoms and less taxes

Stiven
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    you guys all need to move out west....both these spots(and many more)10mins from my drive way...and we dont have all the crazy laws...i cant imagiane living in a state like that...

1845yds from my rifle to the bottom edge of the dot...

as a shooter im envious, but where are the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    I love the country and weather, except for the winters as I get older, and that is why the area we are moving to in NC is very similar but with more freedoms and less taxes
    it's great here besides the people and the politics

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I can vouch for Stiven he speaks the truth, there is even a town where you have to write an SA "just like high school" justifying why you need a LTC.

Dean

PS: 2 more years and counting
    I've heard of having to write an Essay but never a SA ese.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Stiven, Is that public or private land?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Stiven
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Stiven, Is that public or private land?
    not my pic that's from longrange.

Wanna here something good?

Glocks in MA. Usually go for 550-650$ for gen 1's. Want a Gen3 or Gen4, no sorry they are not safe enough for citizens. but hey if youre law enforcement it doesnt matter. It gets better trust me theres a super secret list only known to the attorney general of MA, no one really knows what models are on the list or how to even qualify for the list. under the guise of consumer safety they can just say a gun isn't safe enough and poof dealers cant sell them. there are ways around it but it drives the cost of the guns up. when glock released the gen 4 they were going for about 800$ on the private market.

This goes for alot of pretty common guns. try finding a CZ in mass that's at least priced at msrp.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiven View Post
    as a shooter im envious, but where are the trees?
    thats the beauty...we have desert like this and 45mins west is lake tahoe national forest and to the north more forest...i really like the green where you guys live but ive lived in the wide open spaces most of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I've heard of having to write an Essay but never a SA ese.
    I was trying to abbreviate, and that was the best I could come up with at the time. Obviously it worked hence your response.LOL

Dean

PS: Why is the word abbreviate so long, and what would be the spelling if you wanted to abbreviate it.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

swamphonkey
    To the kids with guns. Brought back memories. In high school we use to carry our deer rifles and shotguns to school left in our trucks of course. And every day leave straight from school to go hunt. I shot a nice 7 point one morning on the way to school (I know bad boy) But went to school and cleaned him out side of my first class which was shop the teacher even went to the cafeteria and got a bucket of ice for me to put in my cooler. Can you imagine that now a days. The school would be on the news. "Student has 30-30 and dead deer massacre at 5"

Basic Member
    I like the look on anti-gun folks when they ask me if I own a gun. I tell them, no, why would I own just one? I've never understood why they say kids on college campuses. Most students on college campuses are over the age of 18, have taken out and supposed to understand the gravity of the situation, when they borrow thousands of dollars in student loans, can sign of for the military and vote, yet we call these adults as "kids". The anti gun crowd is correct, kids cannot carry on college campus, adults with GWCLs in campus, hopefully with the governor's signature, will be allowed to protect themselves. Can someone explain why these adults need to be coddled like they are still 4 years old?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Can someone explain why these adults need to be coddled like they are still 4 years old?
    That's easy, because most of them still act like spoiled little 4 year-old's because they've been coddled their whole life.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

In Louisiana, we can do pretty well what we want, except for Full Autos and Silencers. Open carry is pretty well the normal here, except in school zones and religious areas.

What I have to watch for is when I travel, I always carry, is going through multiple states I understand I could get in a lot of trouble in some states if someone had reason to check me. I have been certain places and people were shock when they realized I had firearms with me. Strictly for protection.

In high school we use to carry our deer rifles and shotguns to school left in our trucks of course.
    Pretty well the norm, it doesn't bother us at all. These people are not the ones you have to worry about. It's the ones in the big cities.

I wouldn't know how to act otherwise complying with some of the State Laws I have told about.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I live and work in Central NY. Strongly considering moving over the PA border ASAP.

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    In Louisiana, we can do pretty well what we want, except for Full Autos and Silencers. Open carry is pretty well the normal here, except in school zones and religious areas.

What I have to watch for is when I travel, I always carry, is going through multiple states I understand I could get in a lot of trouble in some states if someone had reason to check me. I have been certain places and people were shock when they realized I had firearms with me. Strictly for protection.

Pretty well the norm, it doesn't bother us at all. These people are not the ones you have to worry about. It's the ones in the big cities.

I wouldn't know how to act otherwise complying with some of the State Laws I have told about.
    Yes I'm next to you in north mobile AL. We open carry and I always have a rifle in my truck and a 22mag in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    Yes I'm next to you in north mobile AL. We open carry and I always have a rifle in my truck and a 22mag in my pocket.
    Ditto, except I have a 22lr revolver. It will do the job.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Ditto, except I have a 22lr revolver. It will do the job.
    Sure will. I got that little North American arms 22mag 5 shot. I use to tote a big pistol but I found myself not having it too much. That lil mag fits in my pocket and goes with me. Because it ain't no good if you don't have it. All I need it to do is get me to my truck. Lol then I got my lil 243 And they are screwed then.

Basic Member
    Looks like the US Supreme Court got one right, post Scalia, post Heller, etc. They have struck down a Mass. law which restricts ownership is stun guns.

Read here:http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/03...-to-stun-guns/

And in Colorado, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals threw out a 2014 ruling sustaining Colorado's magazine ban.

Read the story here: http://www.cpr.org/news/newsbeat/201...t-after-ruling
    Last edited by yew plucker; 03-23-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added more information

For stupid gun laws ,Kalifornification has you all beat . And now they want to make some of there laws already on the books illegal .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast