Thread: 1922 Sporter Magazine

1922 Sporter Magazine

I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this. I was given an old .22 cal rifle that was my grandfathers. From what I have read about it it is a 1922 Sporter. The S/N on the end of the barrel is 1439. I would like to get this one back into shooting condition. I'm looking for a magazine with the knob on the bottom. Is there anyone who has a magazine for sale or know where I can buy one? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BWCAguy; 03-05-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Basic Member
    There are three different markings that were used on these 5 shot magazines, any will work, but the technically correct one for your vintage gun would be marked only on one side with Savage Co & patent info and 22 S, L & LR and not have any model information. Later magazines are marked for only 22 Long Rifle and have Model information on the other side.

These show up on eBay & other places on a regular basis and go for $50 ~ $150 with most in the $80 ~ $100 range, I recently sold a really nice late one and got a top bid of $99 (but just a couple days before it ended someone listed another one and the bidding on mine stopped).

There also are 8 shot aftermarket magazines made by Triple K that list for about $40 and sometimes are sold for less from other suppliers (don't try and buy one of these on eBay, recently some have brought over $100 at a time when Triple-K showed them out of stock @ $40 - and my original brought $99).

Thanks for the information Sav22, I have the magazine that has Savage & co patient info 22 S L & LR, but it's missing the knob on the bottom. I will keep looking.

edit, I found a magazine for $155.00 plus shipping. Wow is all I can say.
    Today I found a bottom plate with good threads and a removal knob for $8.00. I will just slide the bottom plate off and repair my broken Magazine. Thanks all.
    Last edited by BWCAguy; 03-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Sav22,

Are you saying that the mags from a 19 and a 23 will fit and feed a 1922? I've been looking for a mag for a 1922 and woud be happy with an aftermarket option.

Thanks,

cecil

Basic Member
    Try Triple-K, they appear to have them in stock again. All version of the factory 5 shot magazines should be interchangeable but in rare cases you may find one that will set to low in the gun and it could cause dome feeding issues. The only time I have encountered this is a very early 1919 NRA that I have, magazines that work fine in other guns occasionally will not work in it unless I hold the magazine farther up - I consider this more of an issue with the gun than the magazines, the rear rib on magazines will vary some in length and that sets the position, but it usually doesn't seem to make a difference in most guns.

Update, I was only able to find one magazine for sale $158.00 plus $8.00 shipping. I did not buy it. Then I was looking at Numrich Gun parts and I found the bottom plate with the knob for $8.00. Score! It is now back looking like new.