Thread: Model10 predator max 1 (newbie) ??

scamaro355

Model10 predator max 1 (newbie) ??

Ok this is my first savage. I went with the 6.5 creedmoor. But my question is about scope mounts. Im getting a vortex 6-24x50 hs-t and im kind of lost on the rings. Looking at the vortex precision rings. But not sure what else i need. Thanks in advance

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scamaro355 View Post
    Ok this is my first savage. I went with the 6.5 creedmoor. But my question is about scope mounts. Im getting a vortex 6-24x50 hs-t and im kind of lost on the rings. Looking at the vortex precision rings. But not sure what else i need. Thanks in advance
    The vortex are nice not sure what they cost but for around 40$ the weaver tactical 6 screw mounts have been super solid.

Basic Member
    I have the 6-24X50 Vortex on my M12. Specs say it has about 50 moa elevation and windage. I say "about" because mine only has about 47 moa. Still enough for my fairly flat shooting loads however, I'm planning on buying a EGW 20moa mount and some new rings. Be interested in hearing what you choose.

Have you done some ballistics calculations to see how much elevation you're going to need at the range you'll be shooting?

I've been using Millet windage adjustable rings and really like them. They save my internal windage adjustments. They're made of steel too and run around $30 at Academy Sports.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

RMGunner
    I have the same rifle as you (same cartridge). I mounted a Vortex on mine as well but not the same model you are using. Mine is the Diamondback HP 3-12x42.

The problem mounting some of the Vortex models is clearance for the power adjustment ring. As you can see from my photos, I could have used a 'Low' ring where the objective lens is concerned. However, I had to use 'Med' rings in order to have enough clearance for the ocular lens end of the scope.

You also need to be aware of having enough clearance for the rifle's bolt lift. I wouldn't want the bolt any closer to the scope than what I have with my setup (pics below).

You can use this calculator to figure out what ring height you need.
    http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Savage 10 PH Max 1, Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42, Talley Lightweight Rings/Mounts (Med. height).