Thread: Scope magnification Info Question

Frosty

Scope magnification Info Question

After reading up on .223 Rem. balistics, looks like 250 or so yards is about it for coyotes. I have a Stevens 200 camo short on lay-a-way that has a Bushnell 3-9x40 mounted. My question is, will 9x be enough? Plan on trying a little coyote hunting and some varmit hunting so I assume that I'll need a variable power scope. I'm not really looking for scope recommendations (I don't want to open that can of worms) but was wondering what power and obj. dia. would be needed at 250+ yards. Also I was wondering if there is a specific reticle that I should consider. Thank for helping this FNG in advance, Dave

dcloco

Re: Scope magnification Info Question

I prefer a 4-12 or 4-16 in a 50 mm objective. Field of view may be necessary in case you have a running shot.

Why is 250 yards about it for yotes? 69 gr HPBT is rather good to 500 yards.

Look at the BC and the SD of bullets. Granted, you can only push the bullet so fast with the case capacity of a 223, but it is there.

With 26" barrels, all of my Savages prefer 25.0 of H4895, 69 gr HPBT Nosler or Sierra bullet, CCI450 primer, and commercial brass to provide 3000 fps. Please work up your own load.

Frosty

Thanks for the info. Just going by what I read on the distances. Googled .223 balistics. I'm leaning towards learning how to reload also. Just what I need, another hobby. Seems to be a great deal of satifaction in custom loading your own ammo.

Basic Member

3-9 works for me. I think the retical makes the difference, thinner cross hairs don't block as much of the target at longer distance.
    Here in Western NY, field of view, and what is behind the target dictates how long a shot you can take.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

I don't own this scope yet but have one on back order- Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 $99.95+s+h. www.swfa.com is still accepting orders on this scope but may take 6-8 weeks before you get one.
    Every review I have read made me order it just to see for myself if it is as good as they say,I've taken scopes costing 4x this off my guns and sold them because to me they were dark when looking down range.
    I have a mueller 8.5-25 eradicator on a 26" barreled 223 that only cost $239 and I won't part with it but the power range isn't right for hunting.
    The "you get what you pay for" does not always hold up with optics, do some research because there are a lot of bargins out there.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

slaroy

I prefer a 4-12 (or 4-16) w/ 50mm objective for my coyote/ woodchuck rifle, as far as reticles are concerned that depends on what type of hunting you will be getting yourself into.

Will you be doing any night hunting? Where I hunt in Ohio, night hunting with centerfires is legal. If so, I would also recommend staying away from fine duplex/ varmint style reticles which can be hard to pickup with a dark FOV. A standard or even heavy duplex work great for me at night, and if you can find it in a scope you like, an illuminated reticle...