Thread: Stock finish

Basic Member

Stock finish

What does everyone use for a high gloss finish on their benchrest stock

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittbull46 View Post
    What does everyone use for a high gloss finish on their benchrest stock
    I don't dabble in BR these days but a base coat-clear coat automotive finish is tough to beat. http://www.6mmbr.com/stockpainting.html

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 02-28-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: big finger typest!!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    What is your stock made of? Solid wood, laminated wood, plastic, fiberglass?

Basic Member
    Richards microfit laminated thinking about using diamond clear auto clear coat with a brush

Basic Member
    Diamond clear is very hard, if it's the same that I used many years ago. Should work fine, but never tried to brush it. I'd be interested to learn your technique of brushing and the final outcome. What do you use to control the flow out and leveling?

I have a Richards that I am still shaping as I shoot it. Planned on using captains varnish, sprayed on with a detail gun once I'm happy with the fit. Right now it has one coat of Bullseye sanding sealer to prevent grease/oil getting into the wood.

BTW: I tried various Tung oil and tung oil finishs, Beechwood casey gun finish, and some others on the laminated wood samples I ordered preparatory to finishing work on my Richards and I found that the laminated wood does not do well with oil type finishes. The oil causes the laminate to swell and due to the impervious nature of the laminating glue, I got stress factures in the wood in the feathered edge regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Diamond clear is very hard, if it's the same that I used many years ago. Should work fine, but never tried to brush it. I'd be interested to learn your technique of brushing and the final outcome. What do you use to control the flow out and leveling?

I have a Richards that I am still shaping as I shoot it. Planned on using captains varnish, sprayed on with a detail gun once I'm happy with the fit. Right now it has one coat of Bullseye sanding sealer to prevent grease/oil getting into the wood.

BTW: I tried various Tung oil and tung oil finishs, Beechwood casey gun finish, and some others on the laminated wood samples I ordered preparatory to finishing work on my Richards and I found that the laminated wood does not do well with oil type finishes. The oil causes the laminate to swell and due to the impervious nature of the laminating glue, I got stress factures in the wood in the feathered edge regions.
    Good to know.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Thanks I will let you know still have a lot of sanding never used a brush but the instructions say you can will give it a try

cwop
    Pittbull its called bling. B/R shooting is a high cost sport somewhere there is a custom b/r rifle Fred made I hate to think what that rifle cost! Go over to benchrest central and view some of those guns even the rimfire guys go all out!!

Basic Member
    I'm finding out

Basic Member
    Is this the clear coat you are referring to? https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Basic Member
    Yes planning on putting it on with a brush

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...8-New-br-rifle

This was finished with rattle can polyurethane. 3 coats rubbed in between each coat with 0000 steel wool. It took all of 2 afternoons to finish.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post

I have finished many laminate stocks with Tung oil,and have never had any issues. I put 10 handrubbed coats on each stock,and wet sand with the oil between each coat.
    If a high gloss finish is preferred,just don't sand the final coat.

High Gloss Tung oil-

Semi-Gloss Tung oil-