Thread: Better Buy: 10P-SR or 10FCP-SR

Better Buy: 10P-SR or 10FCP-SR

I'm buying a gun in .308, because:

1) My "big" guns are now all 30 caliber, so I'm not currently interested in stocking components for 6/6.5/7MM

2) I have dies, powder, brass etc. from shooting my M1A, even though they'll have a slightly different load
    3) I can readily purchase factory ammo if needed
    4) I plan to take this rifle hunting at some point

All of the above being said, which rifle in your opinion is the better buy: The 10P-SR in 16-18" ($522), or the FCP-SR in 20" ($598).

I like the shorter barrel of the P, but I've been lead to believe that the FCP uses AICS-pattern magazines, which is nice (true/false?).

I was under the impression that regardless of which I buy, the stock is very likely making a short trip to a dumpster in favor of a McMillan or similar. When I replace the stock, will that change which magazines I can use? I've never taken one of these apart before.

I do have a suppressor rated for 300WinMag that will occasionally be used with this rifle.

I intend to take this hunting, but the kind of hunting I have to do in this area usually involves sitting in a glorified tree house shooting down a lane through the woods that's 15 feet wide, and 300+ yards long. I don't mind the gun being heavy since it's a short walk from the road.

What say you, community?

Basic Member
    If you can find the old version of the FCP-SR, made before 2015 I believe, it will come with the following:
    Fluted and Threaded Barrel
    5R rifling
    AICS pattern bottom metal and mags
    20MOA base
    Digi camo accustock

The new FCP-SR's, which are the only ones they are making now, come with the following:
    Fluted and Threaded Barrel
    Proprietary savage bottom metal and savage mags
    0MOA rail
    Black Accustock

So if you were to buy a FCP-SR now, you would need to buy the aics bottom metal and mags of that is something you really wanted as it no longer comes standard on the rifle
    Common sense is not common

Gotcha. So as of new construction, they both use the Savage proprietary?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rahl07 View Post
    I'm buying a gun in .308, because:

1) My "big" guns are now all 30 caliber, so I'm not currently interested in stocking components for 6/6.5/7MM

2) I have dies, powder, brass etc. from shooting my M1A, even though they'll have a slightly different load
    3) I can readily purchase factory ammo if needed
    4) I plan to take this rifle hunting at some point

All of the above being said, which rifle in your opinion is the better buy: The 10P-SR in 16-18" ($522), or the FCP-SR in 20" ($598).
    Depends on what you plan to do with it? If strictly for hunting, go with the short barrel.

I like the shorter barrel of the P, but I've been lead to believe that the FCP uses AICS-pattern magazines, which is nice (true/false?).
    False.

I was under the impression that regardless of which I buy, the stock is very likely making a short trip to a dumpster in favor of a McMillan or similar. When I replace the stock, will that change which magazines I can use? I've never taken one of these apart before.
    The stock you buy will determine the magazine you'll use. Read the description of the stock to determine the magazine you need, and whether or not it coincides with the action screw spacing of your action.

I do have a suppressor rated for 300WinMag that will occasionally be used with this rifle.

I intend to take this hunting, but the kind of hunting I have to do in this area usually involves sitting in a glorified tree house shooting down a lane through the woods that's 15 feet wide, and 300+ yards long. I don't mind the gun being heavy since it's a short walk from the road.

What say you, community?
    See my responses above. The Accustock, if that's what youre buying on the gun, is more than capable for hunting. Hell, Ive shot some awesome groups with one. Not the most comfy or ergonomical, but super lightweight and the cushy recoil pad does its job. Don't write it off if your plan is only to hunt.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    I am not 100% sure if both of them use savage proprietary mags, but I do know that the FCP-SR does use them as I own one
    Common sense is not common

All the 10P-SR rifles I can find are 5r; are they all that way?

Basic Member
    I should have clarified: The FCP-SR did once come with AICS mag bottom metal. IIRC those were $8-900 rifles off the shelf. The FCP SR of today comes with a 10 rd Savage proprietary DBM.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.