Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor Brass

Vanilla Gorilla

6.5 Creedmoor Brass

Natchez has some Hornady brass right now if anyone is looking for it.

Norma makes 6.5 creedmoor brass

If you want lapua you have to make it from 7mm08 or .308

don't want no Winchester brass

But there is Hornady brass available from Natches for 71 per 100
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Crikey!!
    For that I'll happily continue to reform my LC brass, only have $0.18 per case in that.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Vanilla Gorilla
    Dark if i had all of the equipment, the experience, and the extra time for that i would gladly do so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Crikey!!
    For that I'll happily continue to reform my LC brass, only have $0.18 per case in that.
    Well the way I see it is if lapua brass cost even a dollar a case. I get 10 firings out of it. It only cost me 0.10 a loading. I really expect more than ten loadings.

I would gladly pay $0.10 a case to avoid all the brass prep involved. I did it a long time ago. Learned my lesson.

Vanilla Gorilla
    m12lrs I saw an interview from this past shot show and Lapua was talking about their new products for 2016 and Creedmoor brass wasn't on the list. Wondering why they haven't come out with it yet. I am with you as far as buying good quality brass however, the only thing i can get my hands on right now is some Hornady brass which will work but will only get half the firings that a Lapua or Nosler case will. I know some people have been converting .308win Lapua brass to creedmoor but as i said earlier i am not tooled up for that. Hoping that soon the market will catch up with the demand that the creedmoor has right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
    m12lrs I saw an interview from this past shot show and Lapua was talking about their new products for 2016 and Creedmoor brass wasn't on the list. Wondering why they haven't come out with it yet. I am with you as far as buying good quality brass however, the only thing i can get my hands on right now is some Hornady brass which will work but will only get half the firings that a Lapua or Nosler case will. I know some people have been converting .308win Lapua brass to creedmoor but as i said earlier i am not tooled up for that. Hoping that soon the market will catch up with the demand that the creedmoor has right now.
    you can get 7mm08 lapua brass and with a little trimming and sizing poof!! you have lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass

or just buy the norma it is good brass too.

I am not sure they will ever make 6.5 creedmoor brass it competes with the 6.5X47 lapua.

Both my resized cases and Hornady cases are over 10 loads... You must be running some stout overloads

How much do you have to trim off of a 7-08

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    you can get 7mm08 lapua brass and with a little trimming and sizing poof!! you have lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass

or just buy the norma it is good brass too.

I am not sure they will ever make 6.5 creedmoor brass it competes with the 6.5X47 lapua.
    wouldnt 260 lapua brass be a better starting point for the creed if sizing for it? If I shot a creed I'd just buy the Norma like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    How much do you have to trim off of a 7-08

Dean
    looks like 0.1257

Last edited by m12lrs; 02-28-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    wouldnt 260 lapua brass be a better starting point for the creed if sizing for it? If I shot a creed I'd just buy the Norma like you said.
    Compare

LongRange
    thanks m12...looks like the 7mm08 would be better suited.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    thanks m12...looks like the 7mm08 would be better suited.
    yep

I will give it a shot while I am waiting for my barrel. 8 weeks out. Only real question is neck thickness and will they have to be neck turned. With .308 brass there is no question you have to neck turn. neck turning is a pain I would like to avoid.

my plan is to use a redding body die to bump that shoulder back, then trim, then neck size and measure neck thickness. you could probably lube up good and just run it through a full length sizing die after trimming but I think it would be easier in steps.

I can't see brass going from 7mm to 6.5mm needing to have the necks turned.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    yep

I will give it a shot while I am waiting for my barrel. 8 weeks out. Only real question is neck thickness and will they have to be neck turned. With .308 brass there is no question you have to neck turn. neck turning is a pain I would like to avoid.

my plan is to use a redding body die to bump that shoulder back, then trim, then neck size and measure neck thickness. you could probably lube up good and just run it through a full length sizing die after trimming but I think it would be easier in steps.
    agree about steps...i run tight neck chambers so neck turning is a must...i prep'd 100 pieces of 260 lapua this weekend and took about 4.5hrs and it still needs to be tumbled and neck sized.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I can't see brass going from 7mm to 6.5mm needing to have the necks turned.

Dean
    agreed...with a .298 .299 chamber i doubt he need to turn necks as the size down is pretty minimal.

Vanilla Gorilla
    Dark i am just basing that number off of what i have heard from others.

Vanilla Gorilla
    My hopes were that there would be a donor case that would be as easy to convert as .223 to 300blk but that isn't reality. I have been reloading for a couple years now but don't have any experience with body bump dies, neck turners, etc. I am just getting into the precision rifle game/long range shooting. So i guess my point to this is that i am trying to learn but some of this is just out of my skill/knowledge range right now. So for now i think it is better for me to just buy the factory brass.

My hopes were that there would be a donor case that would be as easy to convert as .223 to 300blk but that isn't reality. I have been reloading for a couple years now but don't have any experience with body bump dies, neck turners, etc. I am just getting into the precision rifle game/long range shooting. So i guess my point to this is that i am trying to learn but some of this is just out of my skill/knowledge range right now. So for now i think it is better for me to just buy the factory brass.
    hey

It is a whole lot simpler than it sounds. Just eat the apple one bite at a time. I bet there is a utube video that shows you how step by step. Most of us that do these kind of things just do it because it is part of the fun of reloading. Trying new things.

or just buy the norma brass. I bet you will be completely satisfied.

Dark i am just basing that number off of what i have heard from others.
    Copy, If you go to the Creedmoor forum they REALLY run high pressure loads, and complain about brass being weak. I am considered the safety nazi there for saying they are over pressure....
    The point in my posts there are that the brass isn't "at fault" for failing when loading beyond design.

There was an article recently done IIRC by Accurateshooter, anyway they did a "chop test" on barrel length. The Creedmoor it would appear is in the same boat as the 308, Any claims that you loose a fixed number of velocity per inch is false. There is a loss, but not nearly what gets touted online.

Vanilla Gorilla
    m12lrs i am sure that i am blowing it out of proportion a little but the fact is that there is a lot of money involved to create a modified product which i am totally for. What i am not for is when things go wrong and the dollars add up fast. Sometimes it is just a little easier to swallow when you have someone with the experience to guide you along first hand instead of trying to replicate something that someone did on youtube.

Dark I am gonna build my loads to be accurate. I don't really care if they are considered a hot load or not as long as they produce the tightest groups.

m12lrs i am sure that i am blowing it out of proportion a little but the fact is that there is a lot of money involved to create a modified product which i am totally for. What i am not for is when things go wrong and the dollars add up fast. Sometimes it is just a little easier to swallow when you have someone with the experience to guide you along first hand instead of trying to replicate something that someone did on youtube.

Dark I am gonna build my loads to be accurate. I don't really care if they are considered a hot load or not as long as they produce the tightest groups.
    yep

I love my reloading tools. Needed an excuse to buy some new ones.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/167...e-65-creedmoor

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...e-65-creedmoor

http://www.pmatool.com/pma-neck-turn...l-a-30-degree/

http://www.pmatool.com/pma-micro-adjust-trimmer/

Vanilla Gorilla
    m12lrs thanks for the links. The PMA tools look super high end.

m12lrs thanks for the links. The PMA tools look super high end.
    Nice stuff. Bought a lot of stuff from them.

Women buy jewelry

Men buy guns and fishing tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast