Thread: Darkeagle Custom Magazines

e.maynard16

Darkeagle Custom Magazines

I wanted to make a separate post about Darkeagle incase someone hasn't heard of him. I picked up an extended magazine from Darkeagle Customs for a 7 rem mag build I'm working on. They're $100 but they look and feel FANTASTIC and snap right into the factory bottom metal. If you want an extended magazine and don't wanna drop $300+ for a new bottom metal and megazine, give the guy a shout. He's on the ball.. I emailed him on a Sunday night around 8 o'clock and got a reply within 10 minutes. The transaction was completed that night and I had the magazine on Tuesday. I was impressed.

His name is Daniel Shumway and his site is:

http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/magazines.php

He offers extended mag releases as well if you're interested.

Checked out their website, looks very nice, great looking products
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

I know Dan,, he has great products and is a fantastic gunsmith not to mention a very good guy. He builds very very accurate rifles and work's on Savage's as well. I have one of his heavy duty precision ground recoil lugs on one of my builds and couldn't be happier.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

DanSavage, I like how you state "He builds very very accurate rifles and work's on Savage's as well."
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Dan is definitely good people. Very responsive and upfront on what to expect. I have four of my 308 magazines that work exceptionally well in my 260 and 308 rifles. While not intended for that purpose, it also works just as well with my new 22-250. Videos on how well his magazines work isn't marketing hype but what one can expect when purchasing his products.

Team Savage
    +1. The Dark Eagle all metal 10-round magazine works perfect with Savage SA factory DBM metal frame assembly surround.

I have personally shot one of his rifle builds. I was very impressed. He is a great guy and builds great products.

Don't hesitate to use him. I have a few of his products for personal use.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Got 2 of them

Team Savage
    Let me ask a question here. Why does the mag I received with my savage, branded "accurate mag" fit in bottom metal that accepts AI mags but I cant put the AI mag in the savage? There is a silver rub spot on the accurate mag that could be the hanging point. I wouldnt want to spend 100 bucks and not be able to use it in my savage.

Different bottom metal. I have a Savage 10 in 223 Rem with CDI bottom metal that uses AI mags, but the bottom metal is different from factory bottom metal on a Savage. Later requires factory Savage magazines. Not entirely sure what is different.

Dark Eagle magazines aren't cheap, but reliability has been exceptional out of the box. Can't say that for my AI mags that needed some adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    Let me ask a question here. Why does the mag I received with my savage, branded "accurate mag" fit in bottom metal that accepts AI mags but I cant put the AI mag in the savage? There is a silver rub spot on the accurate mag that could be the hanging point. I wouldnt want to spend 100 bucks and not be able to use it in my savage.
    I use them in my Savage 12 LRP and they work perfectly.
    What rifles are you talking about ?
    It will depend on the bottom metal

Basic Member
    Been looking for one of these since I bought the rifle a few years back. I see one in the near future.

I found Darkeagle Custom on the web. Dan's workmanship mags, extended mag release, machine work is excellent! I've never met the guy or talked with him on the phone either. I sent him money orders, gun parts hoping that his stuff was as good as in the pictures on his website. Everything was first rate worth every penny, done fast too. One of the few good ones for sure. phipp

Basic Member
    I've had one of his .308 mags for years and can't say enough great things about it. I e-mailed him a while ago about making .223 mags but he was saying he can't get them to feed reliably. I respect the fact he won't but a lesser quality product on the market.

*Deleted*

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys on this thread. I've been needing a second mag for my rifle since I bot it a couple years back. I have the standard mag that came with my rifle, but no backup or second mag.

This one will come in handy for banging steel, and I'll keep that standard mag for any regular hunting situations.

Again, much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys on this thread. I've been needing a second mag for my rifle since I bot it a couple years back. I have the standard mag that came with my rifle, but no backup or second mag.

This one will come in handy for banging steel, and I'll keep that standard mag for any regular hunting situations.

Again, much appreciated!!
    Let me know what you think please. Which caliber are you buying it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Let me know what you think please. Which caliber are you buying it for?
    Hey Orezona!! How's that 280AI working out for you? What bullet are you using and what kind of speed are you getting out of the 24" barrel?

I bot the LA mag as my 111 was originally chambered in .270 but I put a new barrel on it chambered in .260 Rem Match. Wanted to make sure I could seat the bullet way out and still feed from the mag.

I just ordered it yesterday, so will get back to you after I receive it and play with it a bit. I'm pretty confident that it will work really well, as they appear to be a much higher quality then the standard 4 rounds mags from Savage.

So, I received the mag from Dark Eagle yesterday. It is a very well built mag and you can feel it compared to the standard OEM mag. I did find that I could only get 9 rounds in the mag however, even with only feeding .260 rounds into the LA mag.

It does click right in to the mag housing though and feeds just fine.

Update: so I went back and read the instructions that came with the mag, (amazing right?) And there is a little trick you have to do to get the 10th round in... All is good now and I got all 10 rounds in. APPROVED!

Hey Orezona!! How's that 280AI working out for you? What bullet are you using and what kind of speed are you getting out of the 24" barrel?
    It is still a work in progress and now it is cold. It didn't like the Nosler 150 AB's/BT's. So now I have some 162 ELD-X and 150 GMX. The GMX are long for the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    It is still a work in progress and now it is cold. It didn't like the Nosler 150 AB's/BT's. So now I have some 162 ELD-X and 150 GMX. The GMX are long for the weight.
    My dad tried that 150 GMX in his 8.5 twist 7mm Mag and couldn't get it to shoot very well, but the 162 ELD-X shot very well... 4 shot group @ 100 yards you could cover with a nickel.

Good luck to you, would like to know what you wind up with as your final load.

Cheers,

My dad tried that 150 GMX in his 8.5 twist 7mm Mag and couldn't get it to shoot very well, but the 162 ELD-X shot very well... 4 shot group @ 100 yards you could cover with a nickel.

Good luck to you, would like to know what you wind up with as your final load.

Cheers,
    I was able to get 500 of each before the freakout. I figured the GMX will probably end up for a 7mm-08 if not good in the 280 AI.