Thread: Table Saws

Table Saws

Looking to purchase a new table saw, and while I'm leaning heavily towards a Dewalt I thought I'd post this up to see if anyone might know of something better. I'm talking about jobsite/portable table saws or possibly a hybrid here, not a cabinet saw. I'd love a cabinet, but I don't really have the room for one and I wouldn't use it enough to justify the additional cost. So who has what and what do you like/dislike about it?

I've pretty much narrowed my decision down to the Dewalt DWE7491RS at this point. It's right rip of 32 1/2" is the widest of any of the portable units I've seen, and I like their fence system and the fact that it's designed to store all the tools/accessories on board (I'm real good at losing stuff). The only real down side I've come across is that some complain about how loud they are, but don't ever mention what they're comparing it to.

The only other one that I was seriously considering thus far was the Rigid R4512 Hybrid, but it's not near as portable as the Dewalt.

The Delta 36-5152 Hybrid would be nice, but it's twice the money of the Dewalt or Rigid.

And for the love of God, don't anyone mention Craftsman as I won't waste another penny on the garbage they're peddling these days.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Have you checked to see if Grizzley offers anything in the size your looking for.
    My grandson is a design engineer for Dewalt tool co working in the Maryland facility.
    My son has a large shop and uses pretty much all Grizzley tools but they are the larger sizes.

I avoid Grizzly for a couple of reasons. They're not a manufacturer, they just have their name put on stuff someone else makes - usually in China. What happens 10 years down the road if I need replacement parts? They're the only game in town, and if they don't still offer that particular model odds are I won't be able to get parts. Their Chinese motors don't last long either so you can pretty much plan on having to replace it within a year or so based on more than one friend's experience with their stuff.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I have the Rigid R4512
    It is still a beast. I think I have used it twice. I have not put it back together since I moved.

R4513. but still bulky

I use my sliding miter saw and I use a straight fence with a guide and circ saw to do my wide/long rips.

Some day if I ever have a shop.....[snap back to reality]

If you don't mind a used one and a little drive, I will be more than happy to part with mine.
    newbie from gr, mi.

oh I forgot to mention:
    friends don't let friends buy craftsmen tools.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    A lot of motor failure is caused by dust. The larger shops all have extensive dust/chip collection systems with intakes at each machine.
    The motors on the dust collection are first on and last turned off but they hold up well. Blowing the machines off with an air chuck occaisionaly
    is a good thing also. But its still wise to have a few backup moters for machines you cant be without.
    They can be bought and rebuilt localy however. For the record, my grandson has made numerous trips to China on behalf of Dewalt.
    Im not aware of what is and what isnt made there as for their line of tools but for sure at least some are. Ive been totaly out of touch with
    construction related power tools for more than ten years. But frankly i never cared much for Dewalt tools. Id much rather used Makita back
    when i was using them. The garage at our camp is no doubt better stocked with tools than many contractors would have thanks to my grandson.
    They have recently introduced a 40 volt full size chain saw. Im expecting a proto type one of those might be on loan there also.
    We already have a brand that was used to help design theirs.

I came real close to buying a porter cable jobsite saw and looked real hard at Dewalt too. for the money they wanted I said to heck with it and bought a very heavy full cast iron top craftsmen cabinet saw on close out. I have the room for it... It was a wise choice it doesn't shake rattle or roll around when ripping boards by myself. If you have the space go for it, if not a good jobsite saw will work but they are a little problematic for working alone with bigger stuff.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~