Thread: Daddy's little girl "great read"

Daddy's little girl "great read"

The lengths a father will go for his little girl.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/whats...e-its-ed-trice

Dean

PS: Take that common core.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

True ? Fiction ?

Very Smart Girl you have there.

Team Savage

Daddy's little girl "great read"

Great story. I don't see the link between the administration's lack of willingness to admit that their test is wrong and common core standards.

Common core standards are set by the Feds, based on the idea that we need a set of standards for all children so that some don't fall behind their peers in other geographic regions, especially those in other countries. Teaching methods and testing throughout the year are set by the local teachers and administration. So if a test or method is faulty, blaming the Feds is kind of silly.

There are Lots of stories out there now where teachers are trying new methods to administrate learning. You don't hear about the good ones that work. Just about the ones that confuse us. None of the teachers are ever given the chance to explain the method on the confusing ones.

In this instance, the author Mr. Trice has a great story and I'm curious as to how his daughter knowing a relatively obscure way to create a larger number (obscure on that learning level, obviously) meant a common core national test was so woeful. I would say she's a creative young lady and give her an A for effort and creativity on review. But marking everyone else's grade a 99 wasn't the right way to go about it. I would love to see if anyone else can corroborate his story that the entire country's children on this grade level had a score marked down. Or if that was just a fun way to end the tale.

Just my two cents relating to the continuing evolvement of educational theory and execution of learning principles.
    Last edited by Jtgraham01; 03-20-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Jtgraham01 brings up a good point. Schools seem to have always been alienating or, at the very least, marginalizing students who don't test well. It may well be a feature of schools since the beginning of the concept of schools as we know them. It's just one of the necessities of an institution geared toward maximizing efficiency, and it does run the risk of hurting exceptional students. Whether or not that's the way it "oughttabe", it's the way it has been. Common core and other standardization programs make the system more rigid, but it was already becoming that when I was in school in the 90s. Part of this is undoubtedly due to funding problems, part of it due to the cult of college, but I think these changes are more familiar than we might want to acknowledge.

The major theme of the story doesn't seem so much "daddy's little girl" as it is "boy, bureaucracy...am I right?" Good for him for standing up for his daughter, more parents should take as active a role in their children's education, but I get the feeling this is more of his little victory dance over the big, bad bureaucrats. I can appreciate both, but the stakes are awfully low for me to invest in either theme.