Thread: Question on bmag barrel

Basic Member

Question on bmag barrel

I recently bought a bmag. I plan on making this my go to fox hunting gun next season. My question is I have the I guess it's the spotter barrel it's not the heavy barrel is the barrel on the sporter thick enough to have threaded to add a surpressor to? And if not can these barrels be replaced with a heavier barrel?

Basic Member
    probably have to contact savage and send it in for a heavy barrel, the Sporter will heat up after about 5 quick shots, I have one and also a HB Bmag which is my favorite and a lot better

never thought about the suppressor, would have to go measure my sporter barrel

Sporter barrel won't be big enough to thread as they typically run around 0.550" @ muzzle on the centerfires, possibly smaller on the Bmag since it's a .17cal rimfire. As for swapping on a heavy barrel, it would probably be cheaper and easier to just sell the sporter and buy a heavy barrel model. I don't know of anyone making Bmag barrels, or offering barrels chambered for .17 WSM for that matter.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    btw my sporter barrel measures .518 at the end and .530 at 1/2 from the end, so it would have to turned down in a lathe to about .505 or so to be threaded without the taper I would not do it.
    I will ask my machinist friend today if he can make a 1/2-28 threaded adapter with a taper to fit the end of the barrel with a set screw to try out. have not seen them out anywhere. but still think the barrel would have to be turned down even to start with

Basic Member
    recommended barrel size for threading 1/2-28 thread min .4924 max .4989 absolute max .510, got it this off a muzzle threading web site

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Basic Member
    Lonewulf not trying to bother you so in your opinion would the standard barrel on my bmag be thick enough to have threaded or no? And if it's not what is that adapter you were talking about?

Basic Member
    don't think threading the barrel on your 17 WSM sporter will help much other than give it a cool look for all the work you will do

all I can tell you is I held my 1/2-28 die on the end of mine and it looks like it would start, but I did not have a .17 caliber TAT to try it any farther with

but the barrel is tapered back and would get to large for the 1/2-28 die so it would have to be machined evenly back smaller for about a .625 distance from the end of the barrel so it was all the same size before you even started to cut threads

if you are really thinking about I would take it and ask a gun smith, or a machinist if you know one.

I would seriously suggest getting a heavy barreled version if you want to add a can. Aside from the barrel diameter issue, there's also the harmonics issue. It's been well documented here that the sporter barreled guns rarely shoot as well as the heavy barrel guns, and hanging a 6-9" can off the end is just going to make matters worse.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    ditto, my sporter shoots no where as good as my HB Stainless, like always I jumped in too soon and should have waited on the HB, but who knew then

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I tried to wait for a heavy barrel all my local shops only got regular barreled ones in I kept waiting and waiting but the only ones they could get were the sporter barreled ones so when the next one came in I bought it. Guess il just have to buy a heavy barreled one then. Lol