Thread: Savage 1905 bolt

mzzlldrinpa

Savage 1905 bolt

A number of years ago I acquired a Savage model 1905. Trouble is, I'm missing the bolt. It was my great-grandfathers and I would like to be able to shoot it. I know its a long shot but, gotta start somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Basic Member
    I have seen a few bolts go thorough eBay recently but many are damaged & still bring $75 to $100 & up. This design can not handle Hi-Speed ammunition and many get shot using modern ammo, which is all Hi-Speed unless marked otherwise - you need 'Standard Velocity' or 'Target" marked ammo, or to be totally safe 'CB's'. The Model 1904 took exactly the same bolt, the 1911 took a similar bolt but it will not fit a 1904/1905.

If you find a bolt look closely where the bolt handle is attached, this is the only locking surface and many will be welded or brazed on and they shouldn't, some will be quite crudely done. Some I have seen even have incorrect bolts attached.

PS, I am looking for a bolt myself, as are others I know of, so expect to pay if you find one on the internet.