Thread: 25-06 Ackley Improved

Basic Member

25-06 Ackley Improved

Just completed putting together my first Savage build from parts. It's been over a year of slowing gathering parts to pull this together. Was originally going to build a .338-06 on the action as I had an elk hunt in CO this past fall. Budget scrapped that and I took my .308. Went with the 25-06 because it's a good multi purpose caliber and fills a nice "need" in my safe.

Consists of:
    116 action
    112J barrel in 25-06 Ackley
    NSS nut and lug
    112 stock

Not pictured is the EGW picatinny base and Seekins Precision 1" rings. Those will hold the VX-3 4.5-14CDS that is currently on my .308. .308 is going to get the VX-3 1.75-6 put back on it.

I wanted a learning experience and I got it. Next step is to do a bunch of fire forming and then load development. We'll see how it shoots and hopefully have a multi-purpose gun that I can shoot some of the local steel silhouette matches this summer as well as a bean field gun for a couple of sits that I have on my deer hunting property.

Basic Member
    nice..........flat rear SS ???????

what cha gonna shoot with it..........?
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member
    Thanks. I kind of like it so far. It's definitely assembled piece by piece and looks the part.

It will take out a coyote or two I am guessing, and pretty sure it will get a crack at an open field whitetail next fall.

Looks really good! I like it! Cant wait to see your range results....your fireform loads will probably shoot pretty well too....so thatll just get you some extra practice.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    My guns are all pretty practical/functional, so this one fits right in. I like how it turned out as well. The stock was a really nice find on eBay and I like it's lines and the laminate wood look.

Range is unfortunately 2 weeks or so out. Weekends booked right now. I do hope it performs well, as I'd like to have confidence in reaching out 300 or so yards on whitetails.

I like my guns being practical/ functional as well.....not that all of mine are, but I like it lol. Itll be here before you know it.
    300yds will be NO problem whatsoever for it I promise. Ive got a 257wby....I bought before I started building my Savages. Your AI will be in the neighborhood of it and 300 is cake. Ive had it on paper at 400 (farthest I had access to at the time) and it was MOA bone stock.

What load combo are you thinking of putting together....full power I mean...after your fireform loads?
    Scooter
    Last edited by scooterf79; 02-24-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added some info

Basic Member
    I know folks have gone 1K with straight 25-06's so I figured 300 is no problem. Gun club just north of town (Winnequah) has monthly steel silhouette shoots with max range of 600 yards. I might try my hand at that once or twice this summer.

I have some Sierra Blitzking 70gr and Hornady 75gr non-VMax. Will play with those a bit, but really bought them as inexpensive fire forming bullets. If I get a varmint load out of them bonus.

I am a Barnes/monolithic bullet guy so will build hunting rounds out of either the 80gr or 100gr TTSX.

For some fun with high BC bullets will probably play with the Berger 115VLD, Sierra 100gr MatchKing, and maybe something from Nosler. A little skeptical at the BC's that Nosler claims on their 100gr and above offerings though. See if I can get something to shoot just to have that option worked up.

I am a big fan of the RL powders, but will probably also add 4831SC, Mag and MagPro to the mix.

Basic Member
    Mounted the scope tonight.

EGW 0MOA base
    Seekins 1" low rings
    Leupold VX-3 4.5-40 with CDS

The EGW base is the only thing on this build that I had to buy new. I guess I could have waited it out for an answer to my WTB or until one popped up on the classifieds, but that seemed like it would be longer than I wanted to wait.

Basic Member
    Man thats a nice lookin rig!

Dunno what it is about 40mm scopes, but I gravitate towards those a lot more than the 50mm's
    Common sense is not common

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pet-Rock View Post
    Man thats a nice lookin rig!

Dunno what it is about 40mm scopes, but I gravitate towards those a lot more than the 50mm's
    Thanks!

Agree. The lines of a scope play a big part and some scopes handle the bulk of the 50mm better than others. 40mm's almost always look pretty darn good.

I just put that same scope on my 280AI last week! So far, I really like it. The glass really ties it all together. Looks good!
    Ill be curious to what your final load is....I loaded the 115gr berger in my 257 and it shoots them really well so I haven't bothered trying another load. I think you're definitely on the right path!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Super cool gun. Question Im a little out of my depth when it comes to calibers. What would be the advantage of this round over say a .243? More powder/velocity?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Super cool gun. Question Im a little out of my depth when it comes to calibers. What would be the advantage of this round over say a .243? More powder/velocity?
    Thanks. I like it. Got super busy so haven't actually shot it yet. I hope to fix that soon, but still digging out.

To answer your caliber question ever caliber has advantages and disadvantages in comparison to others. In the case of a 25-06 vs a .243 you do in fact get greater case capacity. But to get that you have to run a long action. Recoil may be different depending on weight of gun, bullet weight, and powder charge. Bullet choices for the .257 caliber cartridges out there are generally a bit more limited than the .243/6mm offerings. They also tend to be heavier, ranging from 70gr to 117gr, while in .243 you get 55gr to 115gr.