Thread: How far is too far gone?

Turbolung

How far is too far gone?

Hello Everybody,

I have an old Stevens 110e chambered for 270 Iv been cleaning up and noticed the rifling in the last 4 inches of the muzzle are NOTICEABLY more worn than the chamber end. Iv only shot it a few times which was to knock a branch off that had a hornets nest...accomplished that..but curious is I should forget trying to use it for a 500 yard shooter. Aside from the rifleings being dang near slick compared to the rest..ot looks to be in good shape..no pitting or scratches etc. I know shooting it is the only answer to my question..just curious what you Fellers have to say about it based on your own experience. Also, is there a source, and price point for a factory take off barrel from a Savage 110? I'd really like to be able to use this rifle being its a family gun, and know it would be a fine deer rifle..but I really wanna try my hand at long shots. I know 1000 yards isn't realistic given its condition..but like I said..5 or 600 would be cool..

There is usually a 270 barrel for sale here in the for sale section for about $50-$75.
    Savage- "never say never".

I'd say that barrel is probably toast. The muzzle end of the barrel is the last to touch the bullet so if it's worn out I can't see it shooting very well.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Turbolung
    Okee dokee..I figured...thanks for that tip for the barrel Mad Dog..I gotta figure out where that sale link is..

Used barrels are generally pretty cheap, especially 270s and 30-06. You will need to become a paid member to access the classifieds, but it is well worth it.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.