Thread: New build come up with 3

Basic Member

New build come up with 3

I had wanted a 6.5x284 for a long time and my first thought was put it in a target action but after lots of researching found out that I would have to take the bolt out if I didn't fire the round and I didn't want to do that. We started out with a normal savage 110 270 stager feed that I bought from a buddy of mine for $300. I bought the gun because I wanted to build a long range rifle that I could hunt with too. called Jim at nss and he walked me through ordering my barrel in 6.5x284 bull that is 28 in long he said it would take 9 weeks to come in. I had order the action wrench, new recoil lug, nut wrench and barrel nut to go with it. Well that was way too long to wait so I started looking around the classified for used barrels. I found a 22-250 barrel and I had a bunch of brass just sitting waiting to get reloaded so I bought it. I then had to call Jim and told him I need all of my other stuff so I could switch over the new barrel. My 22-250 barrel come in and that night I installed it on the actions without any problems. I bought new choate tactical from midways and I had a sweet looking and shooting gun. In the mean time still waiting for my cbi barrel to come in I bought a 308 axis and switch it over to a 243 for my daughter to shoot. Well the day finally come my CBI barrel was here but I had a big problem on my hands do I take the 22-250 off the action and just shelf that barrel or start looking for a new action. Well I went with the second choice and bought a new 30-06 center feed dbm for the donor action. I bought a Choate sniper for the 22-250 and put the new action and the CBI barrel in the tactical stock. Well after some load work up its shooting good for the conditions I was in. Here are some pic not the greatest but best I can do for now. No pic of the axis looks like everyone else's

22-250 (blued barrel) has a 12x super sniper and 6.5 (stainless) has primary arms 4x14. Both have bigger bolt handles aswell.

I am going to go with 51 or 51.2 gr 4831sc

Last edited by wn40; 02-22-2016 at 12:03 AM.

GrumpyGuns
    Very nice on both of them. What is the twist on the 22-250?

Basic Member
    Nice rifles wn40!

Which of those Choate Stocks do you like more? One of those might be a purchase down the road...
    Common sense is not common

They look awesome! I have the choate you have on the 6.5....its kinda heavy but I like it.
    Nice builds!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pet-Rock View Post
    Nice rifles wn40!

Which of those Choate Stocks do you like more? One of those might be a purchase down the road...
    i feel like the tactical shock is more ridge in the forehand which makes it I think shoot better. That just my opinion. The sniper stock twisted a little with the bipod attached and I feel no twist in the tactical stock. But I do like that thr sniper has adjustable butt pad and check riser that come for factory.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGuns View Post
    Very nice on both of them. What is the twist on the 22-250?
    It's a 1-12. I shoot 52gr bullets with imr 4064 pushing around 3942 fps