Thread: Control Feed Bolt Change

Blantz23

Control Feed Bolt Change

I have a 111 in 7mm Rem that I want to install my 22-250 barrel on. Is it possible to change the control feed bolt to push feed? What all parts need to be purchased? What if I found a complete push feed long action bolt? Could I just use it?
    Thanks

All you need is a regular 30-06 bolt head.

Remove the bolt and swap the bolt heads.

To remove the standing ejector, Just remove the trigger pin, pull out the ejector, replace the pin.

Easy stuff.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Blantz23
    So if I found a push feed long action complete bolt I could just use that, correct? I know someone that has one that needs a control feed so we may swap.

Yes, you could swap bolts. You would still need to remove the standing ejector from your action.

The CRF bolt won't work in a non-CRF action. Well, at least it won't eject. It would need to be milled for the ejector and, obviously, the ejector itself.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Blantz23
    Geargrinder, any idea of what other parts I would need to pick up? Detent ball, ejector, etc?
    Thanks for all the help this far.

Bolt head
    extractor
    detent ball
    extractor spring
    ejector
    ejector spring
    ejector retainer pin

Your CRF action probably has a large diameter firing pin. It would be a good time to swap out to a small diameter pin. So you'd also need:
    small diameter long action firing pin assembly
    small diameter bolt head retaining pin.

Blantz23
    Actually after looking at the Savage parts lists it appears the 30-06 also has control feed and the only thing different is the bolt head diameter. If I stick with control feed looks like I just need to change out the bolt diameter.
    Thanks

No, only magnums had control feed....mostly the RUM's but there were a few regular magnums that were CRF.

We may have been using the same term describing two different things the whole time.

Perhaps are you meaning center feed?

Blantz23
    well I can't figure out how to post a picture but I have the mechanical ejector on the action.

Ok, sound like we are talking the same thing.

CRF was only magnums. Savage went to this to get the RUM's and WSM's to feed and eject correctly. Then they standardized everything to center feed.

Like this CRF bolt head, with a slot. Not a round pin type plunger ejector.

Blantz23
    Geargrinder, I appreciate all your help. I only live an hour from Sharp Shooters Supply and have talked to them. Going there Wednesday and he is going to fix me up. Thanks again for all your help.