Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reloading hall of shame

Team Savage

Well Ill make you feel better. I posted about loading w/o primers...... I did it freakin again!!! Gotta stop watching Dr. Phil while I reload. Way too many crazy people on that show and I get too distracted. Thats my excuse anyhow. Sooooo glad I bought a puller.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    Just last week.... bought a collet/neck sizing die, second time using it. I forgot to check the necks before priming. Well... first bullet fell right in. Then I got the bright idea of pulling the decapping pin and neck sizing without it. Now I've got a bunch of cases too small to seat... Gonna try some boattail bullets and make sure the case doesn't get shorter meaning I crushed the shoulder and need to throw them out.....
    Can you adjust a full length die high so only to run the necks over the expander ball?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    Well Ill make you feel better. I posted about loading w/o primers...... I did it freakin again!!! Gotta stop watching Dr. Phil while I reload. Way too many crazy people on that show and I get too distracted. Thats my excuse anyhow. Sooooo glad I bought a puller.
    I may be wrong but I would think that if you die is bottomed out when you re size, It shouldnt get any shorter than the length you have it set when you cam over. The only way to make it shorter would be to screw the die down further than when originally sized.

Oh and on my repeated screw up. I am becoming a black belt in bullet pulling. I may start charging for my services. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adammiddagh View Post
    Can you adjust a full length die high so only to run the necks over the expander ball?
    Never thought of that, Thanks! I've certainly got enough samples to try....

Results.... I didn't notice an expander ball on the shaft, but I slowly deprimed and full length sized as the neck was forced up the pin and expanded. No cracked necks, and only lost 1-2 thousandths of length at most.

Excellent advice, THANK-YOU!
    Last edited by mbohuntr; 03-04-2016 at 06:59 PM.

schnyd112
    Got a new one today. Just finished sizing and decapping 50 rounds. Grabbed my primer pocket cleaner and chamfer/deburrinf tool and headed into the living room. Opened the door from the garage, hit my loading block with the door and dropped 50 cases on the tile floor. Most of the necks are no longer round and now I have to re-size them all. Not sure there is a lesson to be learned from this, probably don't carry so much stuff from bench to couch, but it sure made me feel like an idiot.

Team Savage
    If you drop an Un sized piece of brass there is a chance it will hit any place on the brass. If you drop a Re sized brass, there is a 99% chance it will hit the neck.

Basic Member
    Three 20 Practical 40 vmax get mixed up with 223 53 vmax (no real visual difference) and fired in a 223.

Group size grows to 1.5" and velocity drops 1000 fps. No keyholes in target (!?!?!?!!!!), no damage.

Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    Got a new one today. Just finished sizing and decapping 50 rounds. Grabbed my primer pocket cleaner and chamfer/deburrinf tool and headed into the living room. Opened the door from the garage, hit my loading block with the door and dropped 50 cases on the tile floor. Most of the necks are no longer round and now I have to re-size them all. Not sure there is a lesson to be learned from this, probably don't carry so much stuff from bench to couch, but it sure made me feel like an idiot.

I got you beat and I'm not happy about it at all I am building a room in my shop for mancave/reloading so all my reloading stuff is boxed up and put away on the shelf. A buddy calls and asks what the recipe was on my .270win rounds because he wants to practice so he is going to build me some rounds (freaking sweet I am thinking). My book is in the box on the shelf I got to move my storage bin deal that I keep my bullets in. I pull is down set it on the bench climb back up the ladder and bump it in the process and it fails to the floor and smashes. Can you tell the difference between a 55g vmax and a 53g Vmax or a 140g SST and 150g SST? I got my work cut out for me. Best I can figure there is somewhere around 600 bullets of different calibers and grain in the pile of smashed plastic.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Can you tell the difference between a 55g vmax and a 53g Vmax or a 140g SST and 150g SST?
    Sure, but I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between a stick of 308W brass from a 7-08.

Yesterday I pulled 243 off, put a 308 on then pulled another 243 for a 7-08. Easy, except I couldn't chamber a new stick of brass in the 7-08 barrel. Rechecked it with my Go both bare and with a .0023" piece of tape. Perfect but the bolt was nowhere even close to locking to battery on the brass. I thought, scratched my cranium, thought some more then on the bench .......

Now, I'm here to tell ya all a stick of 308 Win brass will not fit in a 7-08 chamber, the small round end is just too dang big!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

You need more primary traction to chamber that, unfortunately.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

schnyd112
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I got you beat and I'm not happy about it at all I am building a room in my shop for mancave/reloading so all my reloading stuff is boxed up and put away on the shelf. A buddy calls and asks what the recipe was on my .270win rounds because he wants to practice so he is going to build me some rounds (freaking sweet I am thinking). My book is in the box on the shelf I got to move my storage bin deal that I keep my bullets in. I pull is down set it on the bench climb back up the ladder and bump it in the process and it fails to the floor and smashes. Can you tell the difference between a 55g vmax and a 53g Vmax or a 140g SST and 150g SST? I got my work cut out for me. Best I can figure there is somewhere around 600 bullets of different calibers and grain in the pile of smashed plastic.

Thats a lot of weighing bullets. I have not done 600, but I did grab a half full box ps 50g vmax and dump them into a half full box of 40g vmax. I didn't realize it until I was shooting them over a chrono and remembered "consolidating" my 50 grainers. Was wondering how I was shooting 50 g vmax bullets at over 4000 fps with 200 fps extreme spread.

Basic Member
    Not my mistake....honestly.....

Back when I was in college I saw a Ruger Super Blackhawk chambered in 44 Magnum that was brought into the old Trader's Den in Logan, Utah with the entire top of the cylinder and the frame blown away.

The story was told about the owner being new to reloading and he didn't quite grasp the concept of powder burn rates and paying attention to tested reloading data. They decided that if X grains of Red Dot was going to give them XXX fps, then why not use XXX grains for a really hot load. I can't remember exactly the powder used or the precise number of times they increased the charge, but I am pretty sure it was 4 or 5 times the max load for whatever fast burning powder they chose. Fortunately, everything went UP and the shooter was not harmed, IIRC.

Basic Member
    I did it again, today. I like to store my brass clean, but not neck sized until ready to load. Today I forgot to neck size before priming and had to remove 30 live primers. Fortunately I didn't charge the brass too.

Safety glasses, ear protection and slooooowly push out the primers

Used a big permanent marker and wrote across the top of my Hornaday hand primer "SIZE BEFORE PRIME".

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I did it again, today. I like to store my brass clean, but not neck sized until ready to load. Today I forgot to neck size before priming and had to remove 30 live primers. Fortunately I didn't charge the brass too.

Safety glasses, ear protection and slooooowly push out the primers

Used a big permanent marker and wrote across the top of my Hornaday hand primer "SIZE BEFORE PRIME".
    why not remove the decapping pin in your sizing die? Are you using Lee stuff?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Tried that, but without the pin it sizes way too small. I suppose I could get another pin and cut off the decapper to use in cases like this…(no pun intended) but I'll wait and see if reading my written warning works well enough.

To answer your question, yes, it's a Lee die set with the extra neck sizing only die. Good stuff!

schnyd112
    You can also take the decapping pin off the rod, at least with Forster and rcbs dies.

Rcbs you unscrew the sizing button, remove the pin, and put the button back on. Forster is pretty much the same but you don't have to remove the button.

Basic Member
    Was doing some online-research on components to use for 40 SW. Read an article about a new powder, CFE. Saw that it has some cross usage with 9 mm Luger as well and decided to try it. Went to LGS, picked up a lb, and loaded 3-5 shot test-loads working up from min. Since my books are all older, none of them have data on CFE, so I looked on the powder container to verify my charge from the internet vs the bottle. It was then I learned there is no charge data for 40 SW on a bottle of CFE 223.

Back to the LGS to pick up a lb of CFE Pistol.

GrumpyGuns
    Oldest son and I were getting ready to size some 303brit had the box of 308 win dies sitting next to the 303 dies both open. I grabbed the 308 FL sizing die not paying attention and screwed it in to the rock chucker and told the boy to get to it. After the second peice of brass he says to me that it is alot harder than normal now I have two peices off 308/303 high bred brass

Basic Member
    I recently started reloading for a new rifle that I built, and had a screw up right out of the gate. I ordered a new set of dies for my 204 ruger, and was excited to get to some loads. I run through the whole reloading process, and I'm down to pressing the bullets into the cases. I forget that I haven't set up the new die, and I start to adjust the die further and further down. It keeps going and going, but the bullet doesn't seem to be going into the case any further. Finally success, my COAL is where it needs to be, but something doesn't feel right about the way the die is pressing the bullets. After 3 of them, I look closely at one of them, and the stupid thing looks like a weatherby case. Lol. The shoulders are rounded like crazy. I start looking into why the heck I have weatherby looking brass now, and finally figure it out. I didn't adjust the bullet seating die, so when I was pressing the bullets, I was sizing the brass at the same time. Lol. I adjusted my bullet seating die correctly, and was on my way. I saved one of the rounds for a reminder to myself to take my time, and do it right.

I have done it all like sticking cases, no primers and a squib round in my .357 from no powder. My cousin thinks he triple charged a .357 mag with bullseye and it broke his bosses cylinder and the top strap was ok. Sent it back to ruger and it cost 40.00 to repair. he was lucky. He took an M1 Garand out once with handloads(big mistake) and fired 5 rounds , the sixth blew the rifle into pieces. He was bleeding all over his head but nothing serious. He sent it back to the cmp and they found that the locking lugs were cracked and it never locked up. He is lucky he didn't die.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Team Savage
    Ok I want some input on this one!!

I knew re loading 260, and 6.5 CM side by side was going to get me in trouble eventually.
    Well that day is today. I was resizing my 260 and it seemed more difficult than normal. So I mixed a little more lube spray and re sprayed the
    cases. That didnt help much. I was watching T.V. and zipping along when I noticed the necks were longer on the resized brass. I pulled the die out and
    sure as crap I put the CM die in by mistake. So now I have about 70 (head stamped) lapua 260 that look like a 6.5 CM but will longer neck.

They have been fired about 3 or 4 times. I have 4 choices as I see it.
    The one that is probably the most sensible will be #1.

1. Throw them out.
    2. Load a light load and fire form them back out.
    3. Sell them to someone (cheap) who only shoots CM so they
    can cut the necks back and use them in CM rifle. I dont want
    to get confused with the head stamp as we shoot them both
    on the same day.
    4. Look up the directions on the "oatmeal" re sizing method.
    ( read something somewhere where oatmeal or the like
    was used in place of an actual bullet.

Im bagging them up and putting them to the side until I get a good consensus view. Just makes me sick that they were the good lapua brass.
    Why couldnt it have been the other way. **** you Dr. Phil.

LongRange
    Doc you need to color code ALL of your stuff...blue boxes 260 green boxes 6.5CM...paint the lock rings on your dies to match and buy binders to match make color coated cubbies for bullets brass ECT and maybe even color code your powders...not being a dick but one of these mistakes could turn into a bad day!!

or pay attention and not watch Doctor Phil when loading.

Team Savage
    Good idea. *I have green box shell holder that matches green gun 6.5 cm and black that matches my black gun but that's as far as I've thought it out. *

But yes that is a really good idea. *I guess you just made me have some gratitude that I caught it before it WAS a bad day. *

I was pissed about the money wasted but I should be glad about the skin I saved.

And I don't think ANYONE is a dick for passing along good advice! !

LongRange
    as far as the brass...I'd size 30 more trim to length turn the necks if needed and shoot them in the creed...no sense throwing away a $100 bucks worth of brass...just use a wide tip colored sharpie and draw a thick ring around them to match the creed color and keep track of them.

Team Savage
    The way I look at it is my bone headed move and your good advice might save someone else this problem. I think Ill hang on to them and put them on the shelf and use them as back up.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast