My Stevens 200 originally started out it's life as a factory .308. It shot very well as a .308 and I was quite content to keep it that way......until I purchased a Model-12 stainless action....and then ordered a 6.5 Swede Shilen barrel.

After headspacing the 6.5 Swede and shooting the barrel in, (of course, I looked at the ballistics of the Swede vs. the .308 before I went this route) I decided I no longer needed a .308.

So.....the Stevens then became a "specialty" hunting rifle. I ordered a .17 Fireball barrel from Sinman in 23" length. After much stock and mag. work I managed to get a CZ centerfire .221 Fireball mag. to work well and be detachable in my .17 Fireball.

But after fox season #1, I knew the rifle was just a bit on the long side....and a bit on the heavy side.

So.....I removed the Limbsaver recoil pad that was needed when it was a .308 and put the factory "brick" back on it. And then I had a machinist buddy of mine cut 4" off the barrel to make it a now 19" barrel.

My only option left is to mount a smaller scope. The Bushnell that is on it now has a lighted reticle which is a requirement for night hunting those fox. But it's nice 'n short and much easier to maneuver. I had it at the range yesterday and it was shootin 1" at 100 yards and 1-3/4 at 200 yards. That's well within MOF (Minuet Of Fox). Here's a pic:

[img width=600 height=357]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/IMAG0034.jpg[/img]