Thread: Makin 'em shorter

davemuzz

Makin 'em shorter

My Stevens 200 originally started out it's life as a factory .308. It shot very well as a .308 and I was quite content to keep it that way......until I purchased a Model-12 stainless action....and then ordered a 6.5 Swede Shilen barrel.

After headspacing the 6.5 Swede and shooting the barrel in, (of course, I looked at the ballistics of the Swede vs. the .308 before I went this route) I decided I no longer needed a .308.

So.....the Stevens then became a "specialty" hunting rifle. I ordered a .17 Fireball barrel from Sinman in 23" length. After much stock and mag. work I managed to get a CZ centerfire .221 Fireball mag. to work well and be detachable in my .17 Fireball.

But after fox season #1, I knew the rifle was just a bit on the long side....and a bit on the heavy side.

So.....I removed the Limbsaver recoil pad that was needed when it was a .308 and put the factory "brick" back on it. And then I had a machinist buddy of mine cut 4" off the barrel to make it a now 19" barrel.

My only option left is to mount a smaller scope. The Bushnell that is on it now has a lighted reticle which is a requirement for night hunting those fox. But it's nice 'n short and much easier to maneuver. I had it at the range yesterday and it was shootin 1" at 100 yards and 1-3/4 at 200 yards. That's well within MOF (Minuet Of Fox). Here's a pic:

[img width=600 height=357]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/IMAG0034.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

Re: Makin 'em shorter

I am with you, 19-20" is about the perfect length for a hunting rifle.

CJ in WY

Nice lookin unit!! Did about the same thing with a 204 Stevens but it lost out to a CZ527 in 223 for my favorite walk-about unit.
    Did you shoot it before the 4" of barrel where removed?

kweeks10045

I did the 221 Fireball and a 20.5" barrel. Nice walk baout gun.

1Shot

...My Stevens .223 used to have a 18" on her... ...Nice window gun... ;D

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by CJ in WY
    Did you shoot it before the 4" of barrel where removed?
    Yes. I put about 100 rounds down this tube before I shortened it. This barrel shot a nice tight group at 100 yards before I shortened it. Now, after shootin it yesterday, I'm still expecting it to give me the same groups.

Yesterday the groups were 1", and that was bigger than what it gave me before cutting it.....but yesterday it was hotter than heck, and I had some nice strong cross winds. I know the wind effected (affected?) the groupings because I also shot my Contender .223 and had larger than "normal" groups for that gun.

So, I'm expecting better on a calm day. I have chrony results from the pre-cut and I'll run some over it on the post cut to compare it.

But....I'm very pleased with the results. This will make for a much better carry rifle!!!

Dave