I know this is a opinionated question, but has anyone ever seen a difference between a Shilen Match and a Select match barrel ? I have a select match barrel, and thought about getting a match grade barrel. just wondering if anyone has experience with the two.

Does anyone know what the difference is? I have been told that the barrels start out the same way with same materials. I was told that the difference was with the lapping process. That they would take a barrel and lap it x amount of times, and if it passed inspection then it was a select match, if it did not pass then they would lap it again x amount of times, and check it, if it passed then it was a select match, if it did not, then they would lap it again, and if it passed inspection then it was a match barrel, if it did not pass then it was scrap.

I have also been told that the select match are of a better metal stock,and that the difference in group size would amount to 1/4" smaller with the select. I was also told that the Select match was hand lapped and the match was not.

So does anyone know the true difference? Does anyone have experience with the two barrels? I realize that this is highly subjective because barrels are like people and have their own personality, but can anyone prove that there is a significant difference between the two?