Thread: Fluted Bolt Problem

Fluted Bolt Problem

I need some help... I received my fluted bolt and installed it in my 300WSM.
    Looks great...but, the standing ejector lever jambs in the flutes and locks the bolt in place.
    When I reinstall the old bolt body everything is fine, but I can feel some drag.

With the bolt removed the standing ejector stays up and it's obvious that it would ride against the bolt as it is opened and closed.

I'm wondering if I can file down the standing ejector (and how I should shape the end) to eliminate the ratcheting and locking of the bolt against the flutes, or could the problem be starting somewhere else? Could something have changed or moved when I changed to a lighter AccuTrigger spring?

Your help is appreciated.

Hunter235

Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

stevec

Re: Fluted Bolt Problem

The bolt stop/sear should not be touching the bolt body. Is it bent? or the pin not in properly? That is the only thing that comes to mind.

Steve

mike3132

Are you talking about the case ejector? I have two WSM guns and one is the newer center feed and the older one is the double stack feed. The older double stack has an ejector pin that rides on the bottom of the bolt. I can see how that would get caught in the flutes. I'm not sure how to solve that problem unless you grind the pin very flat on top. Mike

stevec

I dont know if it is just my computer or what, but the first pic you posted is there and the next two are blank. could you post a pic of the stop or ejecter you are talking about. If it is the ejecter, I have never seen one like what you describe and am curious.

Thanks, Steve

Basic Member

The Short Mag uses a controlled round feed which has the ejector under the bolt. On a fluted bolt, it can be a problem.

I've spiral fluted several and polish where the ejector rides and was able to work them fine.

On this style fluting I would say you can probably do the same. Work it enough to see where it rides and polish heavily where it goes in and out of the flutes.

You can also work on the ejector by giving a radius on the top but enough to still push the base of the case out.

Also, as the bolt is rotated, it can catch sideways so you have to polish that region for an easier "in and out".

stevec

Thank you. They still dont show on my computer and the links are blank also. Gonna have to figure out what is going on.

Steve

ellobo

The pictures are blank on my computer as well.

El Lobo

hailstone

Ditto the above two -- no pictures!

Basic Member

Hunter235 - I have a 3M pad that runs on my 6 inch bench grinder. It makes short work of deburring and polishing. If I didn't have that I would probably try a dremel or flex shaft.

By the way - I see the pictures fine.

stevec

I SEE E'M!! :D

Thank you, I had never seen that type of ejector. All of my actions are standard.

Steve