Thread: 300 WSM case ejection

Basic Member

300 WSM case ejection

I lucked into a never shot Pac-Nor 300 WSM small shank barrel as a gift and want to turn it into an AI style mag fed chassis mounted rifle.

Since I don't own a small shank action with an action mounted ejector (Do any factory built ones exist?), rather than trying to get reliable ejection from a plunger ejector bolt head, I am thinking of converting it the action mounted ejector setup.

Do any of the Savage 'Smittys' do that procedure and how expensive is it? Where can I get the ejectors? (guessing Savage won't sell me one)
    Last edited by geezerhood; 02-16-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Every small shank action coming out of the factory for several years now has been push feed.
    Ejection from a small shank push feed WSM is currently reliable, at least in the two that I have.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Hotolds442 I think I used the wrong terms in my original post and have changed it. I was referring to wanting the standing ejector that is mounted in the action. I guess they are called controlled feed even though they don't really control the round like a true controlled feed system.

Anyway, none of my Savage actions with the plunger style ejector in the bolt head (push feed, right?) will eject a 300 WSM empty case with 99%-100% reliability. My standing ejector models will, but I only have those in large thread. I do not want to use a push feed (plunger ejector) bolt head if I can avoid it because of ejection issues I have had with them mainly with the 300 WSM cases.

Just for conversatation check this out it will show you how Savage used to do it. Hotolds442 said the rest.

Savage WSM old style
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.