[size=10pt]Hello,
I’m new to the forum so of course I am going to ask all you veterans to offer up the same advice that you have given a gazillion times. The thing is I have been away from the load bench and shooting range for a long long time. So I am excited to be experiencing again the feeling that only a new Rifle can bring and the good fellow ship that comes from gathering with brethren with like interest in this sort of format.
I have spent my entire sporting life behind Remington 700’s. And even though I have admired and enjoyed many friends Savages through the years this is actually the first one that I have ever owned.
The rifle is a Mod. 16 FHVSS in 308 win. What I know about it is that it is essentially a model 16 Weather Worrier that has been fluted and sold through Cabela’s as an exclusive offering. I really like the rifle but I also of course am eager to learn about what cool things are available that can add to my overall enjoyment of its potential.
Well here’s where I am; the rifle is unfired as I have no scope, base or even a box of shells. The main purpose of this rifle is “everything”. I have lots of hogs, deer, coyote and everything else right out my back door. I’ve read in to this forum enough to have already put my order in for a new bore guide from Mike Lucas. And have also spoken with Tim at DNZ and have a place in line for a custom set of Rings w/base from them. At this point I really would value input on the following.
(1) What scope to buy? I would like the ability to dial and return accurately with something in a versatile focal range like 4.5-14 with 50obj. etc... I have 1000yrds. from my back door to the wood line and I would like a scope designed to take advantage of a wondering hog somewhere in between. Here a few years back I would have known what to do but I read here names that I have never heard and quite frankly am over whelmed. I am a working man so I’m not found of wasting money on a name unless you get something for it. I can’t justify $2500.00 for a scope but too I would rather wait and save to get a something that will hold up and is of real quality than to run out and buy something less expensive just to have it now. The question is who makes a truly remarkable scope at a real world price?
(2) What about triggers? The rifle that I have came with the new Accutrigger and it is light but it also is kinda spongy and somewhat unpredictable, is there something better?
(3) Without going further please share any information of your valued or successful add-ons or modifications that you think might be of interest.
In closing thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

[/size]