Thread: Need information about new scope etc.

REP

Need information about new scope etc.

[size=10pt]Hello,
    I’m new to the forum so of course I am going to ask all you veterans to offer up the same advice that you have given a gazillion times. The thing is I have been away from the load bench and shooting range for a long long time. So I am excited to be experiencing again the feeling that only a new Rifle can bring and the good fellow ship that comes from gathering with brethren with like interest in this sort of format.
    I have spent my entire sporting life behind Remington 700’s. And even though I have admired and enjoyed many friends Savages through the years this is actually the first one that I have ever owned.
    The rifle is a Mod. 16 FHVSS in 308 win. What I know about it is that it is essentially a model 16 Weather Worrier that has been fluted and sold through Cabela’s as an exclusive offering. I really like the rifle but I also of course am eager to learn about what cool things are available that can add to my overall enjoyment of its potential.
    Well here’s where I am; the rifle is unfired as I have no scope, base or even a box of shells. The main purpose of this rifle is “everything”. I have lots of hogs, deer, coyote and everything else right out my back door. I’ve read in to this forum enough to have already put my order in for a new bore guide from Mike Lucas. And have also spoken with Tim at DNZ and have a place in line for a custom set of Rings w/base from them. At this point I really would value input on the following.
    (1) What scope to buy? I would like the ability to dial and return accurately with something in a versatile focal range like 4.5-14 with 50obj. etc... I have 1000yrds. from my back door to the wood line and I would like a scope designed to take advantage of a wondering hog somewhere in between. Here a few years back I would have known what to do but I read here names that I have never heard and quite frankly am over whelmed. I am a working man so I’m not found of wasting money on a name unless you get something for it. I can’t justify $2500.00 for a scope but too I would rather wait and save to get a something that will hold up and is of real quality than to run out and buy something less expensive just to have it now. The question is who makes a truly remarkable scope at a real world price?
    (2) What about triggers? The rifle that I have came with the new Accutrigger and it is light but it also is kinda spongy and somewhat unpredictable, is there something better?
    (3) Without going further please share any information of your valued or successful add-ons or modifications that you think might be of interest.
    In closing thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

[/size]

lostart

Re: Need information about new scope etc.

1) You will get a lot of responses for getting a vortex scope..great warranty and I hear they have excellent glass for the price. Check into those.

2) I like the accutrigger, some don't. In that case get a sharpshooter comp trigger. (There a sponsor here)

3) Have fun!

REP

Thanks for the help.

REP, the list for a scope could go on forever, like anything else it becomes what each person feels is best.
    My advice is to go to www.opticstalk.com ask your questions stating wants,needs,cost factor,and sit back and learn. The guys over there are like some here, very very experienced in what they tell you, even the owners of SWFA jump in on occasion with an opinion.They will post links for you to look at so you can make an educated decision, do yourself a favor and ask over there.After all they are the optic guys.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

sparky123321

I've owned Nightforce, Pantex, Bushnell, Nikon, high end Nikko Stirling's(Diamond Sportsman) and many other scopes. I guess it all depends on how much money you wish to spend and the amount of magnification you're looking for. I perfer higher magnification, but my guide doesn't use or recommend anything over 24x because of eye fatigue.

The clearest and bightest scope, by far, that I've ever used is the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50mm scope. They run around $700.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced scope with great glass give Mueller a try. Midway carries these scopes. I recently picked up a Mueller 8-32 target scope just to use while working up new loads for a new Ultra Match AR. I was amazed at the color, clarity and light gathering ability of this $200 scope. There aren't many other scopes in this price range, if any, that are clear edge to edge and usable at their max power. Don't let the small objective lens fool you. It looks a little funny compared to all the other 56mm-60mm objective lens scopes out there, but I did a side by side comparison with a 60mm objective scope that cost twice as much and the Mueller blew it away. I was planning to pull off the Mueller and put on the more expensive 60mm scope until I did that side by side comparison. There even lower priced Eradicator scope has received some great reviews as well, but I can only provide feedback on their target scope. I believe Midway has several deals and coupons going right now and you should be able to get a Mueller scope for $150-$200.

I'll probably pick another Mueller up for working up loads for a BR rifle I'm building. Honestly though, I will replace it with a more expensive higher magnification scope down the road. I like to see my hits and perfer something in the 50x range for my long range shots(750+ yards).

Basic Member

When I build my 1000k meter rifle, I'm going to go with a vortex viper pst scope. I put a vortex crossfire on my brother's rifle and was amazed at the clarity.

As far as triggers goes, I like the SSS Competition Trigger. By far one the best, most affordable triggers here. I would also recommend have SSS do a Time and True job. Just note that you'll be without your rifle for about a month once its your turn to send your rifle out.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Welcome to the forum!

You'll find a friendly, knowledgeable bunch of folks here!

I guess we all have our own preferences as far as optics go and I'm sure we all have our own reasons so I'll share mine. I prefer Leupold scopes for several reasons. I have tried most of the different scopes out there over the years and I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much you spend on glass or what brand, sooner or later you will get a lemon. I have switched almost all of my other scopes over to Leupold in the last few years mostly due to the fact that their customer service is second to none in my experience and they are made in the U.S.A.

I have also had very good luck with Sightron, Nikon, Burris and the higher end Bushnell scopes. I have never used one but have heard nothing but good stuff about Vortex. I guess you just pays your money and takes your chances, I would stay away from the lower end models of any brand though, there is a reason they are cheaper!

As far as triggers, I have used every after market trigger available for the Savage except the SSS and the Jard. I have heard NOTHING but good about the Sharp Shooter trigger and I have heard nothing at all about the Jard. The rest are, in my opinion, no better than the old 3 screw factory trigger with the single exception of the Rifle Basix SAV-2 it's a very good trigger but about $60.00 higher than the Sharp Shooter.

Have fun with it!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

REP

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy
    REP, the list for a scope could go on forever, like anything else it becomes what each person feels is best.
    My advice is to go to www.opticstalk.com ask your questions stating wants,needs,cost factor,and sit back and learn. The guys over there are like some here, very very experienced in what they tell you, even the owners of SWFA jump in on occasion with an opinion.They will post links for you to look at so you can make an educated decision, do yourself a favor and ask over there.After all they are the optic guys.
    Thanks for the advice and info. I'm a new member on Opticstalk as well so I will try it out.

REP

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123321
    I've owned Nightforce, Pantex, Bushnell, Nikon, high end Nikko Stirling's(Diamond Sportsman) and many other scopes. I guess it all depends on how much money you wish to spend and the amount of magnification you're looking for. I perfer higher magnification, but my guide doesn't use or recommend anything over 24x because of eye fatigue.

The clearest and bightest scope, by far, that I've ever used is the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50mm scope. They run around $700.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced scope with great glass give Mueller a try. Midway carries these scopes. I recently picked up a Mueller 8-32 target scope just to use while working up new loads for a new Ultra Match AR. I was amazed at the color, clarity and light gathering ability of this $200 scope. There aren't many other scopes in this price range, if any, that are clear edge to edge and usable at their max power. Don't let the small objective lens fool you. It looks a little funny compared to all the other 56mm-60mm objective lens scopes out there, but I did a side by side comparison with a 60mm objective scope that cost twice as much and the Mueller blew it away. I was planning to pull off the Mueller and put on the more expensive 60mm scope until I did that side by side comparison. There even lower priced Eradicator scope has received some great reviews as well, but I can only provide feedback on their target scope. I believe Midway has several deals and coupons going right now and you should be able to get a Mueller scope for $150-$200.

I'll probably pick another Mueller up for working up loads for a BR rifle I'm building. Honestly though, I will replace it with a more expensive higher magnification scope down the road. I like to see my hits and perfer something in the 50x range for my long range shots(750+ yards).
    Bushnell ?? wow I will check them out! Thank you.

REP

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    When I build my 1000k meter rifle, I'm going to go with a vortex viper pst scope. I put a vortex crossfire on my brother's rifle and was amazed at the clarity.

As far as triggers goes, I like the SSS Competition Trigger. By far one the best, most affordable triggers here. I would also recommend have SSS do a Time and True job. Just note that you'll be without your rifle for about a month once its your turn to send your rifle out.
    This sounds interesting what all do these guys do and do you need a loan to pay for it?