Thread: Imr 4350

Team Savage

Imr 4350

Im going to go ahead and try out the imr 4350. Im mostly using it on my daughters new 243 axis ll she is getting. I think it will be a nice adequate powder to push her 70 gr match king down range. But, I keep an eye out for h4350 when ever I am ordering something i generally just throw in a pound of Hodgdon but crap that hasnt been the case in several orders lately. With all the creedmoors hitting the market on top of the 260 and 243's its extremely hard to find. You can get IMR everywhere though.

What are your experiences with imr4350?

I use a ballistics calculator that uses a temperature sensitivity factor and Im not quite sure how that is used. I THINK it is a factor calculated by the software based on multiple records of mv's at differing temperatures. I guess you could go with that at first and then go out and shoot at multiple temps to true it.

I think I read somewhere that you should be inputting the ammunition temperature by using an IR thermometer and not air temperature anyhow. Overkill?

Just trying to possibly plan ahead for the sensitivity of other powders seeing as how the h4350 is really drying up. But again I had heard that the IMR didnt seem too sensitive either but that information could have been based on ambient temps and not ammo temps.

Doc I am using IMR4064 with 65 gr. Sie. in several of my 243 s and have been more than satisfied with the results. I have used IMR 4064 as a go to powder in a lot guns over the last 40 couple years and have never been disappointed, and the same goes with IMR 4350.

I use it in my 243 and have been pleased.

Team Savage
    Thats good to hear. Shoot IMR is easily had in 8lb kegs and its cheaper. Im going to Kansas city next weekend and planning on stopping by and grabbing some more.

At least I still have a few lbs of h4350 left and can leisurely go about testing the imr in my 260 and 6.5's. Im planning like I said, to start from scratch with the 243 on IMR.

LongRange
    you might want to try some of the IMR4451...IMR4350 is great powder...no need for the IR thermo Doc.

Team Savage
    So the Hodgdon that we use is made in Australia. Why on earth, considering the demand, wouldnt they open a manufacturing plant in the U.S.? Im pretty sure people would pay 5 bucks more to cover the taxes and red tape.

Basic Member
    I use IMR4350 with a Sierra 85gr game King, good results so far.

Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    So the Hodgdon that we use is made in Australia. Why on earth, considering the demand, wouldnt they open a manufacturing plant in the U.S.? Im pretty sure people would pay 5 bucks more to cover the taxes and red tape.
    Hodgy never has made an ounce of smokeless powder, nor currently does IMR. Those are merely Brand names sold by Hodgy. The Former IMR plant in Quebec is owned and operated by Defense Contractor General Dynamics. USA made powder is ball powder out of GD' s ST. Marks plant. Essentially all ball powder being sold under any name, by Hodgdon.

IMR 4350 is *GENERALLY* speaking, a little bulkier than the Thales version(H4350). They are not the same but close.
    Any powder being Temp insensitive is completely about the application that you are using it in. That is NOT a universal property. So find something that works and be merry. The 243 with heavy bullets, has a well known habit of having random pressure excursions anywho, keep that in mind if you go heavy.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Try Varget. Start at 40 and work up to 42 max
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Ive been using imr 4350 in my 260 with 130gr bergers with great results. Can't find any h4350 so I opted for h4831hc. I plan on working up loads once the imr runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Try Varget. Start at 40 and work up to 42 max

Getting on the edge, that's getting to be a pretty fast powder for that heavy of a bullet in the 243; Especially to 42gr. That's above the 65gr data.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Getting on the edge, that's getting to be a pretty fast powder for that heavy of a bullet in the 243; Especially to 42gr. That's above the 65gr data.
    Work it up. What is your "Data" reference? Does it trump Nosler who says 42 is max with a 70 grainer. So choose your poison and work it up. They have provided me with great starting points in the past. I shoot 4064 in my 270 with no other powder coming close to its accuracy. 1/2" 3 shot groups at 200 with a factory barrel in a tupperware stock. If you can't find a node in 2 grains and don't know when to stop...don't ask reloading questions on the internet.

Edited:
    So I looked up hodgdon and they do say that is hot. I had looked at my reloading log as well and saw 42.5 but a second look said that was for 4064.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 02-15-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Team Savage
    If I didnt already say, Im loading the 75gr matchkings for the 243 as a stepping stone for my daughter up from the 223. It wont be very long at all and I will be changing all that as well as a scope upgrade I would bet. She started last summer shooting 22 and quickly got bored and moved to ar15 and was killing cantaloupe at 200 yrds easily with 4x scope and a 1.5 moa junk ammo. Girl has skills for 10.

Sorry, I thought you said 70's

Team Savage
    I may have. I didn't go back and read. I had to check my order receipt to make sure what I had settled on. And sure enough it WAS 70's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Work it up. What is your "Data" reference? Does it trump Nosler who says 42 is max with a 70 grainer. So choose your poison and work it up. They have provided me with great starting points in the past. I shoot 4064 in my 270 with no other powder coming close to its accuracy. 1/2" 3 shot groups at 200 with a factory barrel in a tupperware stock. If you can't find a node in 2 grains and don't know when to stop...don't ask reloading questions on the internet.

Edited:
    So I looked up hodgdon and they do say that is hot. I had looked at my reloading log as well and saw 42.5 but a second look said that was for 4064.

I used Hornady's current(IIRC, 9th ed).
    But the greater point, which I didn't make clear is the actual pressure.
    Rather than focusing on grains, which no one but the handloader loads to, is the velocity. For the average Joe, the velocity listed will be what keeps you within pressure limits.

Unless any source lists the lot numbers, which none do, the only way for us to watch pressure reliably is with the Chronograph. Varget may well work, my only concern is that it is getting pretty fast.

Cheers

Team Savage
    I finally received my IMR and all the dies and bushings etc. Im just going to start loading her up in the middle to middle low side of the powder range. First to just giver her something to shoot when she opens her rifle on her birthday but also to simply fire form the brass. She was really good shooting the 223 so moving up to a light loaded 243 should be no big deal. Hopefully.

Team Savage
    Picked up a few more lbs of Imr so I'm ready to start working with it.