Thread: Can a 93R17 be rebarrelled?

Basic Member

Can a 93R17 be rebarrelled?

pretty self explanitory. I have a 93r17 thats always shot okay but my MKII does quite a bit better. Can the barrel be replaced on the the .17 hmr? I noticed it looks staked in with these 2 pins on the reciever.

Basic Member
    I'be read on other forums that Shilen makes barrels for them, but it's work that has to be done by a gunsmith as it is not a drop in replacement. If anyone can do it or knows how to do it right, I would suggest Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. His forum name is Sharpshooter.

I was doing research on this subject as I was thinking the 17HMR might be a good cheap practice round that can get out to 200/300yds and still require good wind reading skills. Also be good for bustin any critters I don't particularly want on my property.

Not only is it staked in, it's pressed in as well. Not having done one, I'm not sure how much effort it would require to remove/refit.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Sure, it can be done, but you'll have more than the cost of a new rifle in it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Sure, it can be done, but you'll have more than the cost of a new rifle in it.
    Thats what I thought. If I can get some killer accuracy out of a Shillen it still may be worth it to me. I think I just got a "ok" barrel. Ive seen lots that shoot a little better. Also It was my first gun and I did not clean the barrel before shooting it. Not sure if there was a little something in there, also cleaned it way too much.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I'be read on other forums that Shilen makes barrels for them, but it's work that has to be done by a gunsmith as it is not a drop in replacement. If anyone can do it or knows how to do it right, I would suggest Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. His forum name is Sharpshooter.

I was doing research on this subject as I was thinking the 17HMR might be a good cheap practice round that can get out to 200/300yds and still require good wind reading skills. Also be good for bustin any critters I don't particularly want on my property.
    you need to get one. I LOVE to stretch out, my moms house has fields all around and I can get to 380 with a safe backstop. It will teach you to read wind. You will use all of your reticle. A regular old school army mil dot is barely enough. My 22 throughs them out there surprisingly well too. I would recommend shooting the 20 gr Gamepoints or XTPs because your going to need all the weight you can get. They actually drop a little less out past 200 and they buck the wind a little better. On a still day I have hit a 11"x9"steel plate at 400 yards with no problem. you just have to let the barrel cool in between strings. It gets hot surprisingly fast and they you start hitting all over.

Basic Member
    Nice. Should simulate shooting the 6mm at extended ranges pretty well then.

400yds, excellent shooting Lorenzo. Well done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    400yds, excellent shooting Lorenzo. Well done.
    Thanks, keep in mind it was a very hot day and it was one of the stillest days (mirage boiling straight up) wind wise we get out here in CO. But once I found the target I put almost a whole box of 50 on it missing Id say 2 or 3 every 10 rounds.

Basic Member
    Are you running a canted base? also what scope are you running. I'm thinking an EGW 20MOA base along with the PA 4-14x44 with R-Grid Reticle. Lots of play both in the turrets and reticle with that set up. Mind you this would be a practice rig for my competitive shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Are you running a canted base? also what scope are you running. I'm thinking an EGW 20MOA base along with the PA 4-14x44 with R-Grid Reticle. Lots of play both in the turrets and reticle with that set up. Mind you this would be a practice rig for my competitive shooting.
    Thats funny I am ordering a PA with the R Grid here soon for that rifle. I run a cheap Ncstar MKIII 6-24x50 SFP (subtends at 12x and I usually leave it on that other than shooting at 100 I put it on 24x) with an army mil dot and 1/4 MOA turrets (not ideal but works). I thought about a canted base but really I was able to dial to 400 that day. I really dont think a canted base is nessecary. To get to 400 is has to be totally calm. Sometimes I can shoot my .22 tighter at 200 in a windy day than my .17. Although I recently bedded my .17 and it seems to have improved groups quite a bit. I have had some sub inch 3 shot groups at 200. I think the primary arms will have plenty of travel. For my density altitude I need 4.9 mils for 350 yards as an average. So I dial back the second focal plane reticle so that the bottom stadia is where my point of impact is. One of the only advantages of SFP, half the power on the dial and get twice the mils in the reticle. But for my purposes the Rgrid is perfect. Once I get the money I will be getting an Athlon Argo BTR with their mil reticle for my 17 and the Rgrid will go on my .22. Both will have qd mounts and go on any other rifle I get. Heres the athlon,

http://athlonoptics.com/product/argo...mr-ffp-ir-mil/

they make a 4x14 called the Talos with a sweet tree type reticle for 299.

http://athlonoptics.com/product/talo...lr-ffp-ir-mil/

Only going with the Rgrid cause it has more windage mils and elevation in the reticle. I think the main tube is from the same place for both companies. wish the Rgrid didnt have the horseshoe but I get the purpose of it and would be ok on an AR.

Also make sure you level your scope. I have bubbles on both rimfires and it will make a difference once you stretch them out. It really is like shooting out past 5-600 with a center fire. Id have to play with my ballistic calc to see what a 6mm is hitting at 5 mils but I imagine its pretty far out there.
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-07-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Turbolung
    Please share your review on that Athlon Sir..I'm interested in them cause they offer more features for the money than anything else iv seen. I'd like a $1000 scope but refuse to believe one has to drop that kind of moneu to get a good scope lol